Gigya Leaderboard

Birth Control

image

 

I use Ortho Tri Cyclen... and I love it.  But you have to be disciplined to take it EVERYDAY!!!!!  LOL. 

 


~Heather B.~

image

I hate done the Depo too. It made me INSANE. I hated my husband for no reason. I was always bleeding. it was just bad for me. I then tried Yaz, it made my legs go numb! So i had to stop that. Then we had my son. Well, at my 6 week check up, they gave meMirena. Worse thing EVER. I gained 60 pounds. I'm a veggie and work out a lot.

 But no matter what i did, the gain kept coming on. Then I started getting very very moody again,

 like I was on the depo again. My period stopped, that was nice. But after talking to my husband about how

 upset I am about the moody BS and the weight gain. we've agreed to have it taken out and I'm going to try another pill

. Within the last week, my Mirena strings have started to poke out of..my lady area. *sigh* so odd, because they were cut short. I've been having horrid stabbing pains, bleeding a lot and feeling faint. Tricare kicks in tomorrow, so I'm hoping to get a OK'ed to see my

 personal OBGYN so he can remove it.

 

All BC is dif for everyone, so. Good luck!

  

 


wedding website

image

 


I have done the Depo too. It made me INSANE. I hated my husband for no reason. I was always bleeding. it was just bad for me. I then tried Yaz, it made my legs go numb! So i had to stop that. Then we had my son. Well, at my 6 week check up, they gave meMirena. Worse thing EVER. I gained 60 pounds. I'm a veggie and work out a lot.

 But no matter what i did, the gain kept coming on. Then I started getting very very moody again,

 like I was on the depo again. My period stopped, that was nice. But after talking to my husband about how

 upset I am about the moody BS and the weight gain. we've agreed to have it taken out and I'm going to try another pill

. Within the last week, my Mirena strings have started to poke out of..my lady area. *sigh* so odd, because they were cut short. I've been having horrid stabbing pains, bleeding a lot and feeling faint. Tricare kicks in tomorrow, so I'm hoping to get a OK'ed to see my

 personal OBGYN so he can remove it.

 

All BC is dif for everyone, so. Good luck!

 


  


wedding website

image

*chuckles* I guess I got lucky then. Between the time I took yaz and the time I got pregnant with my son, was a good three years! I used the temp/cal/cervix thing. Worked for us. I didn't use it this time because i was breastfeeding and was so busy with my son i knew I'd not track very well!


wedding website

image

A friend of mine got it and she has no children, doesn't ever wan them either. It might depend on the doc too. Ours doc told us this.

"It's normally only given to women who have had at least one child because it could ruin your chances of ever having more children if something goes wrong and yes, it's been known to happen. Also, it's easier to get through a cervix that has already dilated once before. But if you don't want children ever and want it, we'll do it. We just have to place extra numbing gel on and a gel that will dilate it just enough to allow us to place it."

 

So..it must depend on the doctor?

 

Personally, as I stated before, I hate mine. Too many problems.


wedding website

I have been on every form of bc , and for me non hormonal worked the best. The ones I liked were the Non hormone IUD, the diaphragm and then, after dd was born tubes tied (csection, they were already in there and dh was deployed. Did NOT want a welcome home baby!)

First of all thank you for supporting the Navy. My brother is in the USN and I appreciate your service and your husbands. To answer your previous questions upon placement of the copper IUD you may have slight bleeding and some cramping or discomfort but it usually subsides within 24-72 hours and most can be dealt with by OTC pain relievers. I've had mine now since 2008 and it has been a marital blessing. Good Luck!
 

Quoted

Amanda Zenni, RN wrote:

I use ParaGuard (Copper) IUD and love it. I've had it for two years and the side effects are very little if none. The great part about it is, its good for 13 years! I do not have any children yet, but my husband and I are discussing it. When we are ready we can take it out and the IUD's effects are automatically reversed since it doesn't use hormones. Like with any other birth control or medications/procedures everyone is different and side effects vary. I hope that helps!

 


Amanda Zenni, RN "With God anything is possible!" Please, check out my blog for coupons, recipes, advice and other tid bits: http://onewomanuso.blogspot.com


I actually heard about the Copper IUD and read that it's the safer or the IUDs and it's non-hormonal. Plus if you have had breast cancer or have a history of it, then it's still fine to use. I'm like NatGuardWife, I don't ever wan children. I have 2 beautiful step-daughters and that's enough for me. I don't plan to ever get pregnant but i've heard that if I do decide to, that I have a better chance with the Copper then I do with the others (after getting it removed that is.) I do have a question though, was it painful when they put it in and how did you feel right after getting it in?

 


navy wife Pictures, Images and Photos
Follow me on my blog :) http://cowgirlandthesailor.blogspot.com/

 

I use ParaGuard (Copper) IUD and love it. I've had it for two years and the side effects are very little if none. The great part about it is, its good for 13 years! I do not have any children yet, but my husband and I are discussing it. When we are ready we can take it out and the IUD's effects are automatically reversed since it doesn't use hormones. Like with any other birth control or medications/procedures everyone is different and side effects vary. I hope that helps!



Amanda Zenni, RN "With God anything is possible!" Please, check out my blog for coupons, recipes, advice and other tid bits: http://onewomanuso.blogspot.com

 I have the Mirena. The only side affect that I have had is some weight gain. It is very hard to lose it too. I am thinking of having mine removed for this reason. Other than that I love it. I stopped having my period, for the most part, withing 2 months of having it put in. Most people it takes up to a year. Since then I have gotten my period 2 times, and that is withing 3 years. That is my favorite thing about it. I also love that it is implanted so I don't have to get shots or remember to take the pill.

I currently use Yaz and it works great for me but if you don't want to take a pill every day you could get an IUD. I hear it has little or no hormones so your mood would not be affected.  I had one for about three months but psyched myself out of it because I thought I could feel it but there are other ladies I know who have one and it doesn't bother them. Just a thought I wanted to throw out there. 


image

 I started taking the Depo shot in january after my 6 week check up and i had a period- not just spotting but full blown period- from jannuary 28th until the middle of july. it was awful. but the past few months i havent had one and my moods are alot better too. ive also heard of many women gaining anywhere from 10-30lbs on the shot but i never had that problem. also, if this helps, some dr's say sometimes it may take up to a year for your body to get used to the shot and the hormones and etc, so maybe since its been a year for you, maybe your body will start adjusting to it better.


Live each day like he deploys tomorrow.

image

I've tried almost every form of BC.  On various pills, I gained weight, had horrible migraines, mood swings, etc--but my skin and breasts looked fabulous.

depo--one of the worst experiences in my life--gained 30 lbs in 1 month.  Seemed to take 2 years before I felt like "me" again.

nuva ring--like a mild version of the pill, side effects wise.  It would come out onto my husband all of the time, which became a funny joke.  One time he said, "I've got your ring!" and I thought that he meant that he had finally gotten me an engagement ring, so imagine my disappointment when he showed me what he meant.

traditional IUD--this didn't hurt that much during insertion, but my periods and cramps were so much worse

Mirena IUD--I LOVE this!!!  Now, I have a retroflexed uterus and my cervical opening points backwards so the insertion was EXTREMELY painful for me, even though I've had a child.  In spite of the pain, I'd do it again. 

re Vasectomy:  I'd always said that I'd never marry a man who wouldn't get a vasectomy if we decided we didn't want kids any more, but now that I love having the Mirena so much, I'm willing to have it and keep getting it until I'm naturally infertile, if I can.  Also, I had discussed the vasectomy issue with my husband and he is definitely on board if we decide that's the best option.  We discussed it before we got married because it's such an important issue to me.


If you can handle the hormones then the patch is great. I couldn't handle the hormones, too many side effects. I now have Paragard, the non-hormonal IUD and I LOVE it! They say that your periods are a lot heavier but mine are not. Mine were 4 days long and a regular flow before, now they are 5 days long and about the same flow. I've had it for 4 months now and I love it!


OOOK, lol here is my opinion. I am on the NUVA RING and I swear by it. I have previously taken the "pill" and still got pregnant because before i was infertile due to low hormone levels and it ended up boosting them enough to get me pregnant.BIG MISTAKE! I have used the ring several years off and on.Honestly I love it and never have a problem.I love that it really has enough hormone to last 4 weeks and so after three weeks you can just put the new one in and skip having a period. There really isnt a reason that you HAVE to have a period but I do set it where i have one once in a while to just kind of give myself piece of mind i guess lol. Oh and for me it has been extremely effective and when my hubby and I decided to have our daughter,I took it out and the following month I found out I was pregnant! I looked into the Mirena after childbirth and honestly find no reason to go through the pain and inconvenience of getting it while I know what works well for me already and its painless and almost effortless. The only thing I make sure I remember is that ANTIBIOTICS TAKEN WHILE USING BIRTH CONTROL CAN RESULT IN A PREGNANCY!!!! I am not sure if it effects the IUD's and I would think it wouldnt but im no doctor well hope this helped! like I said I have had NO issues at all and its not uncomfortable or anything as long as you put it in right ( its pretty simple). 


" Never take for granted,the moments that steal your breath away,that make you heart skip beats and soar...Cherish it all and pray for many more". J&K Warta

image

After "that", I tried Nuvaring.  Is really good, and the only side effect is a slight weight gain (like two or three pounds around my lower abdomen), but is nothing that can be controlled with additional planks and extra hours of pole dancing.  Also, it hasn't done a whole lot for my mild acne (all the other hormonal BC I've taken, except for Yaz, has cleared my acne), but like the extra three pounds, nothing that Clearasil and oil free makeup can fix.  


Very happy it hasn't caused:

-Extreme mood swings=like Lo Ovral

-Terrible acne=Yaz

-Horrible Morning Sickness=Lo Estrin

-Pregnancyrtho Tri Cyclen Lo 


I once remember at medical (when I was in bootcamp) an IDC (Independent Duty Corpsman) telling me about how the amount of hormones in the pills contribute to the severity of the side effects, and that most women try over five types of hormonal birth control until they find one that suits their needs.  




Daisypath Anniversary tickers

What about the NorPlant? I don't know if I spelled that right. It worked great for me. The reason I had it taken out was because one of the rods broke (after 4 years). It's a small incision in your arm, they place 5 rods in there the size or smaller of a match stick. I didn't even feel after it was done. After 4 years I forgot I had it in there. lol. Of course they you'll have a small scar the size of about 2 cm but it's so worth it. Good luck I hope I was helpful.


Army Wife Forever

I currently have Mirena (I.U.D.) and I LOVE IT! No side effects, no remembering to take a pill, no patches, no messing around with removing or replacing anything, lasts for 5 years, my period is virtually gone, and I don't have any cramps when it's that time of the month.  Best of all, when and if we decide that we want to start trying for kids ... it can come right out. Best thing I've ever done!


marine wife Pictures, Images and Photos

To NatGuardWife regarding the Mirena.... I've never had children. My first doctor told me she wouldn't give me the Mirena because of that reason. I currently have a new doctor and when I brought up the subject to her she told me no problem and we went from there. She said it was the old fashioned way of thinking (not having children and then not placing iud's.) Although just to let you know ... b/c you haven't had children, your cervix hasn't been stretched and therefor the placing of an iud can be uncomfortable. When I had mine placed, I had to go during my cycle (cervix is then dilated), insert 2 pills into my vagina the night before to help dilate my cervix more, and take 800mg of ibuprofen before my appt. It was uncomfortable, strong cramping while they placed the iud (took 5 minutes) and then I had cramps the rest of the day. Nothing a hot pack and some more ibuprofen couldn't take care of. It'll be a year in October that I have had the iud and I gotta say I love it! My periods have been growing shorter every month and I don't think I'm going to get it this month. I use to have about 2 days of cramps during my cycle and I can say those are no more. I highly recommend it to anyone qualified for it. It's wonderful!


marine wife Pictures, Images and Photos

I used the pill (ortho tri-cyclen) for 10 years and was happy with it, had no real side affects, I think I was lucky to hit the right one on the first try.  I switched to the patch (ortho evra) for a year, and was okay with it, it was nice to only have to think about once a week, but it didn't always stick very well.  However, I had a surgery while I was on the patch, and had a blood clot a week after the surgery, so now all the hormonal options of birth control are out for me.

My husband and I actually did quite a bit of research and discussion with my doctors on the topic, since we were not ready for kids at the time but did not want to rule out the option forever (the first doc we saw told me to get my tubes tied, to which my husband replied, "No way in hell am I letting her have surgery again, she just had a blood clot!" to which the doc said, "Then you should get a vasectomy" to which I replied "That might be an option later, but we don't want to do anything permanent right now.  We want birth control options." to which the doc said, "Go to planned parenthood."...obviously we walked out and I immediately went to the Tricare desk and asked for a new doctor.)  Anyway, we ended up in the OBGYN clinic, where we met a good doc who took the time to explain our options.

For me, everything with hormones was out.  This knocked out pills, patches, rings, some IUD's, shots and implants.  My body doesn't react very well to spermacides, so that knocked out most barrier methods except for condoms, which are not all that effective.  We talked about the copper IUD since there aren't any hormones, but they are not really recommended for women who have not had children, which we did not, and I was on blood thinners at the time so the docs weren't too keen about adding something that could cause tearing and bleeding.

That pretty much left "natural family planning" on the table.  We used a method called the Billings Method (www.billings-centre.ab.ca) that worked.  In a nutshell, you pay attention to variations in mucus "down there" throughout the month.  Different consistencies will tell you if you are close to ovulating, and you can calculate when to abstain if you are trying avoid a pregnancy, or when to engage if trying to conceive.  It didn't really involve a whole lot of work on my side, but it did require my husband's cooperation.  To make it easier, I keep a little chart by our bed with some markers, and I would color code the day according to what part of the cycle I was in.  That way, husband could consult the chart and know whether or not he should be making advances or not, or at least to use a condom.  Saved a lot of frustration on both sides, let me tell you.  It was nice too, to not be solely responsible for the birth control.  I will say that it can be annoying to abstain when you are in your fertile time, because of course that's when I was "in the mood."

The method worked for 4 years for us...until the husband came home from a 3 month deployment and everybody had a little too much wine...yeah, we became one of those couples who got preggers the day after deployment. 

Ultimately, the choice is yours, but I would say talk to your husband about the options as well, since it is his responsibility too.  We had our child, and then my husband volunteered to get a vasectomy.  It was in my "birth plan" that if I needed a C-section for any reason, that they were to tie my tubes.  I had also seen a new method of female sterilization where they insert a small metal coil into your fallopian tubes and scar tissue forms around it, blocking the tubes, but at the time the naval hospital wasn't providing that method yet. 

Good luck with your appointment, and just remember, that unless you choose a permanent method like sterilization, you can always change your mind again.

JustJewelryBC wrote:

I got my tubes tied!! lol

Honestly, I had so many problems with birth control it was ridiculous.  Depo, pills, it went on and on, and after I had my baby 4 months ago, I said, that's it!! lol


Fabulous jewelry from $12-26! Check it out at Just Jewelry by Cheryl or become on Fan of it on Facebook to learn about monthly specials, promotions, discounts and more!

I did the opposite of you and had HIM snipped, LOL. I am a huge, huge, huge advocate of vasectomy, if you and your husband do not want anymore children. My husband is also a vasectomy advocate. He had no issues and says that the horror stories that some men tell is due to their own stupidity of not listening to the doctor and taking it easy for the rest of the day after the procedure. It is a 20 minute in office procedure with just local anesthetic followed by a bag of frozen peas on and off in 20 minute cycles and a jock strap or tight fitting underwear for just the first day of the procedure. After that continue to wear tight fitting underwear for a few more days and then he was back to running and regular activities by day 4. Vasectomy is cost effective, less invasive, and overall safer than the birth control choices for women (BC pills, IUD, Depo, tubal ligation, etc.). 


image
DragFly wrote:
Mrs. Ski 012609 wrote:

 We used Vaginal Contraceptive Film. It's a thin sheet of spermicide ( I bought it from Target) and it dissolves for easy clean up.


Milspouse.com Moderator: General Discussion & In-Laws

what? what is that? I need to know more. lol. I cannot use any form of birth control due to kidney disease so we opt for the traditional method and probably the only married people on earth still buying condoms.lol.



"Women must not depend upon the protection of a man, but must be taught to protect herself." -Susan B. Anthony

www.jennifercomptonracing.com

I use VCF on occasion and love it.  Like Mrs. Ski said, it's just a thin sheet of spermicide, and you fold it a few times and insert it.  The only "problem" with it is that it's not really a spur-of-the-moment type thing, as you have to wait 30 minutes before doing anything.  On the plus side, if you're having a date night or something, you can insert it before you even go out because it's effective for up to 8 hours.



The difference between a lady and a flower girl is not how she behaves, but how she is treated. ~ My Fair Lady

Amy Thomas wrote:

No, in all actuality you can not get pregnant on your period as the egg is dead and being discarded.  A woman is only fertile for 24 hours, that's it.  But, sperm has the ability to live in the super furtile vaginal discharge that a woman's body creates days before you ovulate.  Which is why you can get pregnant even if you don't have sex right on the day that you ovulate.

And it's not the rthym method, that is an old, outdated method that has nothing to do with checking your cervix or monitoring your cervical fluid.  And I don't have ten kids.  I have two.  One that was conceived while I was taking birth control pills extrememly religiously.  The other we conceived because we wanted to get pregnant.  I've been doing this for 4 years.  No, it is not an exact science, neither is the pill as I got pregnant while taking them without missing one. 

I do believe that birth control pills are poison because both my sister and I have had nothing but horrible, negative side effects on all of them.  And yes, I have tried every pill out there, until I decided to try another way and not make myself sick anymore.  I have tons of friends that are on the pill and I never tell them they are wrong or bad or anything.  And a lot of those friends are just fine on the pill with no side effects.  I don't dog people that take them, that is your choice, but I believe it is important for women to understand how their bodies work instead of relying on a dangerous pill to take over.  Hair falling out, fainting, horrible stomach pains, etc. are not normal. 



Respectfully, every woman's cycle is different.  It is very possible for a woman to have sex during her period, ovulate seven days later and still get pregnant.  There are a number of factors that determine this--length current cycle, length of last cycle, regularity of cycle, etc., etc.--but to tell people that the rhythm is 100% is seriously misguiding them.  As Sjay said, I understand that you may feel that birth control is "poisin," but my grandmother literally had ten children using the rhythm for religious reasons, and even she who was completely against birth control told anyone who would listen how unreliable that particular method was, and that if we really wanted to not get pregnant we needed to use another form.


"I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." — Marilyn Monroe

 I tried the patch for about a week. I couldnt get the dang thing to stick to my body! It kept falling off.  When it did actually stay on for an entire day, I started to develop a rash from it.  I am not sure why and the doctor wasnt either, but I think it had something to do with me having a very physical job.  I have also tried about five different types of pills, but that is definitely something that you have to try to get it right.


"I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." — Marilyn Monroe

I know a friend who uses Mirena.  She loves it and hasnt had any problems with it.  I personally was on the pill for a long time and liked it, but since I have gone off the pill,  I realized that I gained a lot of weight on the pill and had a hard time keeping it off.  There are so many different formulatoins that it takes awhile to find the right one.

 


"I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." — Marilyn Monroe

Amy Thomas wrote:

I don't take any form of birth control because they are all like poison to your body.  I monitor my cervix position, morning temperature, and other natural signs that let me know when I'm ovulating.   I don't do it for religious purposes, I do it because I choose to understand my body and let it do what it is supposed to do naturally.  Many people snub there nose at this because they feel that they would not be able to abstain from sex during the times when you are furtile, but my husband and I are creative during those times and have not felt deprived in anyway.  Plus, the wait till we can have intercourse kinda builds up the tension and makes it fun.  If you are interested in this, there is a book called Taking Charge of Your Body that explains everything.  Just know that it is unforgiving if you don't follow the rules!

 



Umm, I am not trying to be mean, but my grandma had 10 kids using the rythem method, so to the original poster, you have to be super diligent--even more diligent than if you are on the pill--if you decide to use it.  Also, monitoring your body is not an exact science and you can become pregnant at any time during your cycle--including your period.

Sorry I mispelled rhythm, but the interface wouldnt let me correct it.

 


"I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." — Marilyn Monroe

image

I hate BCPs... I was on yay for only a year when I decided to stop taking them, I got MASSIVE MIGRAINES every night from 1500 to 1900 and sometimes longer... Nothing would make them go away and I was forced to hide in a dark corner for that period of time for the better part of a month because my GYN's only advice was that "if you get the headaches when you come off the pills then you should continue taking them...." WHAT?!


Daisypath Anniversary tickers

I'm on the Mirena and have been using it for the past six years.  You can have it on for up to five years and then change it out.  I think it is the most fabulous thing out there, for me at least.  I was on the pill for several years and had a hard time remembering so on some days I would double up on the dose and it would make me sick.  Then I tried the Nuva ring which I hated, I had a horrible time inserting it in and taking it out so I stopped.  After I had my daughter I went on the Mirena which was a godsend.  Previously, I suffered from extremely heavy periods with debilitating side effect such as excessive cramping, migraines, etc and would always have to take meds to ease the pain.  Anyhow, almost immediately after using the Mirena my period flow lessened dramatically and eventually went away altogether.  I think it took about a year for it to fully disappear, don't get me wrong though, I still have minor cramps for about a week per month but no bleeding.  I only spot very seldom, actually only if I'm particularly stressed out, for instance the last time we PCS'ed was extremely stressful so during my "period week" I spotted ever so slightly and just used a pantyliner.  The only time the Mirena actually caused me physical discomfort was when it was changed out last year and replaced, that hurt me quite a bit (the removal part) since it had been there for five years.  Anyhow, I hope that helps someone, I try to recommend the Mirena to anyone who asks my advice on birth control.


http://proudusafwifethetruth.blogspot.com/

After my 4th child, my DR recommended using Mirena... but I wanted to go back to my Ortho Evra Patches.  I wear one patch per week for 3 weeks, then go without a patch my 4th week (which is when I have my period)  You can also go up to 11 weeks and have a period every 4 months if you choose.  Talk to your doctor about all your different options! I love the patch because I would always forget to take the pill every day!   

 


www.KimberlyTurnerOnline.com

This is year six using Mirena (just had a new one put in a couple months back). No problems to report. If you haven't given birth to a child docs really prefer you not to have an IUD, but in my case this was the last option.

I don't take any form of birth control because they are all like poison to your body.  I monitor my cervix position, morning temperature, and other natural signs that let me know when I'm ovulating.   I don't do it for religious purposes, I do it because I choose to understand my body and let it do what it is supposed to do naturally.  Many people snub there nose at this because they feel that they would not be able to abstain from sex during the times when you are furtile, but my husband and I are creative during those times and have not felt deprived in anyway.  Plus, the wait till we can have intercourse kinda builds up the tension and makes it fun.  If you are interested in this, there is a book called Taking Charge of Your Body that explains everything.  Just know that it is unforgiving if you don't follow the rules!

 


No, in all actuality you can not get pregnant on your period as the egg is dead and being discarded.  A woman is only fertile for 24 hours, that's it.  But, sperm has the ability to live in the super furtile vaginal discharge that a woman's body creates days before you ovulate.  Which is why you can get pregnant even if you don't have sex right on the day that you ovulate.

And it's not the rthym method, that is an old, outdated method that has nothing to do with checking your cervix or monitoring your cervical fluid.  And I don't have ten kids.  I have two.  One that was conceived while I was taking birth control pills extrememly religiously.  The other we conceived because we wanted to get pregnant.  I've been doing this for 4 years.  No, it is not an exact science, neither is the pill as I got pregnant while taking them without missing one. 

I do believe that birth control pills are poison because both my sister and I have had nothing but horrible, negative side effects on all of them.  And yes, I have tried every pill out there, until I decided to try another way and not make myself sick anymore.  I have tons of friends that are on the pill and I never tell them they are wrong or bad or anything.  And a lot of those friends are just fine on the pill with no side effects.  I don't dog people that take them, that is your choice, but I believe it is important for women to understand how their bodies work instead of relying on a dangerous pill to take over.  Hair falling out, fainting, horrible stomach pains, etc. are not normal. 


Um... most birth controls are just hormones... the same hormones your body produces naturally... so how is a hormone pill (birth control pill), or other hormone releasing form of birth control considered "poisoning" your body???   Or condoms... how do they poison your body???  Unless you have an allergy to latex!  

 

You can get pregnant ANYTIME of the month, yes that includes on your period too, not just the day your ovulating.  If you really think that as long as you don't have sex when your ovulating you won't get pregnant... Your about to have a rude awakening someday.  The body temperature thing???  Your body temperature changes constantly with the environment, with internal body changes, constantly!  I would not rely on body temperature to determine if its safe to have sex or not without getting pregnant!

 

It is okay to be against birth control for whatever reason, but maybe before deciding your against birth control or trying to advise someone else not to use birth control, you need to do some more research on birth control itself and the different methods and hormones and their effects on the body.  Then you should do more research on alternative methods of not getting pregnant other than birth control medications...  Cause watching the calendar and taking your temperature are definitely not reliable and not recommended to anyone seriously not wanting to get pregnant.  It just sounds to me like you are very misinformed or not very well educated on birth control and alternatives. 



 

Yes, you can get pregnant anytime of the month except three days after you ovulate and during your period.  I'm sorry, it is you who is misinformed.  I have done research on this because this is the method I choose to use.  I do chart my morning waking temperatures, but along with that I check my cervix and monitor my cervical fluid which changes allowing you to know how furtile you are becoming.  I do not simply monitor my temperature and that's it.  I requires a lot of discipline from me. 

Yes, birth control pills are hormones, but your body is not used to maintaining those levels at all times.  And if they are just hormones, then why so many negetive side effects?  Condoms are fine if that's your thing, for personal reasons that I won't go in to, I can't use them.  I do know that if I have sex at anytime of the month, I can get pregnant if I don't watch things.  But, once the egg has been released and my temperature has risen for three days and my cervix becomes hard and closed then I know it is safe. 

And I told her to research it, not just jump into it today and to realize that if you don't follow the rules it is unforgiving. 


I had the mirena for about 6 months before having it taken out. I hated it my body just couldnt handle it. I gained over 40 lbs in two months (which Im still trying to take off) I felt like I had a tire around my belly I was so bloated. I was also extremely moody and had horrible headaches. I actually felt like I was pregnant all the time ( I wasted a lot of money on pregnancy test because it made me paranoid haha).  I loved that I didnt have to worry about missing a pill but I just couldnt handle it.  A lot of people love it though. Im on ortho tri cyclen lo now and I love it. The only side effect I get is it can make me a little nauseous but I started taking it at night and it stopped. Hope you find something!

I just got the Paraguard IUD (copper one) about 3 weeks ago. I am 21 years old and have never been pregnant. I absolutely love it! I heard it was pretty painful to get it put in especially if you haven't had children. But like almost everything in my life, I was pleasantly dissapointed. So basically yah, it felt like a pretty bad cramp while it was being inserted but just for maybe 3 seconds and the cramps were a little more than usual that first day but nothing a midol couldn't fix. I did bleed for like a week after I had it put in but I was also on my period when it was inserted. I wanted the paraguard because it is non-hormonal which is extremely important to me. There are way too many studies on how the pill (which I was on previous to this) and any other form of hormonal birth control, which is most of them, about complications trying to get pregnant, higher risk of breast cancer, weight gain, and other bad long-term affects that I was no longer willing to risk. My IUD is good for 10 years but my husband and I plan on getting it removed anywhere from 3-5 years from now to start having children!

I would recommend it to anybody!

I use orthro evra the patch. One patch per week for three weeks and the fourth week is when you get period. I did that since I lack discipline to take a pill everyday. I've had no side effects in fact it helped with my acne and I always had an irregular period but now can keep track and in fact I have my period for fewer days. A tip switch up where you put the patch in order to give your skin a break from having the patch on that spot. I recommend going to planned parenthood website in order to read about all the types of birth control. Found out about an interesting birth control where its a small rod that they insert into the arm and lasts three years it can be removed at anytime I don't know details, but I did find it interesting. Oh the patch can be placed on the buttocks, stomach, upper outer arm, upper torso, or upper thigh . It is beige skin tone color


Good grief - i kept losing the posts yesterday and now I see 3 of them there!  Sorry, I deleted them!!!

Actually, there ARE days you cannot get pregnant.  You cannot get pregnant unless there is an egg released to join with the sperm.  It's that simple.  The trick to the sympto-thermal methods is to learn when the egg is being released and not have sex a few days before or a few days after.  You can argue it to death but there are messages boards like the ones on ovusoft and fertility friend that are devoted to these methods.  I doubt they'd have a following if they were as ineffective as you want people to believe!!!

Of course no birth control is 100% effective except abstinence.  No one is saying that.  Use whatever method or form of birth control suits you!   I just encourage people to research before they make claims that are not based on evidence. 

chinrse1234 wrote:
Amy Thomas wrote:

No, in all actuality you can not get pregnant on your period as the egg is dead and being discarded.  A woman is only fertile for 24 hours, that's it.  But, sperm has the ability to live in the super furtile vaginal discharge that a woman's body creates days before you ovulate.  Which is why you can get pregnant even if you don't have sex right on the day that you ovulate.

And it's not the rthym method, that is an old, outdated method that has nothing to do with checking your cervix or monitoring your cervical fluid.  And I don't have ten kids.  I have two.  One that was conceived while I was taking birth control pills extrememly religiously.  The other we conceived because we wanted to get pregnant.  I've been doing this for 4 years.  No, it is not an exact science, neither is the pill as I got pregnant while taking them without missing one. 

I do believe that birth control pills are poison because both my sister and I have had nothing but horrible, negative side effects on all of them.  And yes, I have tried every pill out there, until I decided to try another way and not make myself sick anymore.  I have tons of friends that are on the pill and I never tell them they are wrong or bad or anything.  And a lot of those friends are just fine on the pill with no side effects.  I don't dog people that take them, that is your choice, but I believe it is important for women to understand how their bodies work instead of relying on a dangerous pill to take over.  Hair falling out, fainting, horrible stomach pains, etc. are not normal. 



Respectfully, every woman's cycle is different.  It is very possible for a woman to have sex during her period, ovulate seven days later and still get pregnant.  There are a number of factors that determine this--length current cycle, length of last cycle, regularity of cycle, etc., etc.--but to tell people that the rhythm is 100% is seriously misguiding them.  As Sjay said, I understand that you may feel that birth control is "poisin," but my grandmother literally had ten children using the rhythm for religious reasons, and even she who was completely against birth control told anyone who would listen how unreliable that particular method was, and that if we really wanted to not get pregnant we needed to use another form.

Respectfully, every woman's cycle is different.  It is very possible for a woman to have sex during her period, ovulate seven days later and still get pregnant.  There are a number of factors that determine this--length current cycle, length of last cycle, regularity of cycle, etc., etc.--but to tell people that the rhythm is 100% is seriously misguiding them.  As Sjay said, I understand that you may feel that birth control is "poisin," but my grandmother literally had ten children using the rhythm for religious reasons, and even she who was completely against birth control told anyone who would listen how unreliable that particular method was, and that if we really wanted to not get pregnant we needed to use another form.

It's not the Rhythm Method.  I hope no one is depending on that!  The Rhythm Method requires abstinence for the first 17 days of your cycle since it assumes that you ovulate on day 14 and can remain fertile for up to 4 days afterwards.  Obviously we know that method is flawed!!!

The Fertility Awareness Method / Natural Family Planning teaches a woman how to recognize the symptoms of impending ovulated (basil body temperature which is taken before getting out of bed at the same time each day, cervical mucous and position of the cervix).  When used correctly, it is about 98-99% effective (similar to the Pill).  But it takes discipline to learn and use correctly.  We followed it very carefully for years and it worked just fine.  I didn't have textbook cycles but it recognizes that every woman's body is different and teaches her how to recognize her signs of ovulation.  In other words, it helps you recognize if you are going to ovulate on day 10, 18, or 22, etc, of your cycle.  FAM suggests using back up during your fertile time (condoms, etc) while NFP suggests abstinence; that's the only difference with those methods - they are otherwise the same.

Obviously, that's a little OT and probably not what the OP is looking for. However, I'm sure people are randomly popping in here to see what's being discussed and I hate to see people confuse the outdated Rhythm Method with the scientifically-based FAM/NFP (http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/02/070221065200.htm).


chinrse1234 wrote:
Umm, I am not trying to be mean, but my grandma had 10 kids using the rythem method, so to the original poster, you have to be super diligent--even more diligent than if you are on the pill--if you decide to use it.  Also, monitoring your body is not an exact science and you can become pregnant at any time during your cycle--including your period.

Sorry I mispelled rhythm, but the interface wouldnt let me correct it.






It’s NOT the Rhythm Method that poster is referring to!!!  I hope no one is depending on that!  Rhythm Method is an outdated method which requires abstinence for the 1st 17 days of your cycle.  It assumes you ovulate on day 14 and are fertile for up to 3 days after that.  Obviously we know how flawed that is!

 

 Fertility Awareness Method / Natural Family Planning (sympto-thermal methods) teaches women how to recognize the symptoms of their impending ovulation by taking their basil body temperature (before getting out of bed and at the same time every day), observing for changes in cervical mucous and changes in cervical position.  It requires some time and effort to learn but is 98-99% effective when used correctly (same as the Pill).  FAM and NFP basically refer to the same method but FAM suggests using back up during fertile times (condoms, etc) while NFP encouraged abstinence.

 

Obviously, this method is not what the OP is looking for but I know people randomly pop in these threads and I hate to see people confuse the outdated Rhythm Method with the scientifically-based FAM/NFP (http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/02/070221065200.htm).

 

 

We’ve used NFP for years and I love it because I couldn’t stand the hormonal methods;  they just don’t seem to agree with my body.

 


chinrse1234 wrote:

Umm, I am not trying to be mean, but my grandma had 10 kids using the rythem method, so to the original poster, you have to be super diligent--even more diligent than if you are on the pill--if you decide to use it.  Also, monitoring your body is not an exact science and you can become pregnant at any time during your cycle--including your period.

Sorry I mispelled rhythm, but the interface wouldnt let me correct it.

 


It’s NOT the Rhythm Method that poster was referring to.  I hope no one is depending on that!  Rhythm Method is an outdated method which requires abstinence for the 1st 17 days of your cycle.  It assumes you ovulate on day 14 and are fertile for up to 3 days after that.  Obviously we know how flawed that is!

Fertility Awareness Method / Natural Family Planning (sympto-thermal methods) teaches women how to recognize the symptoms of their impending ovulation by taking their basil body temperature (before getting out of bed and at the same time every day), observing for changes in cervical mucous and changes in cervical position.  It requires some time and effort to learn but is 98-99% effective when used correctly (same as the Pill).  FAM and NFP basically refer to the same method but FAM suggests using back up during fertile times (condoms, etc) while NFP encouraged abstinence.

 Obviously, this method is not what the OP is looking for but I know people randomly pop in these threads and I hate to see people confuse the outdated Rhythm Method with the scientifically-based FAM/NFP (http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/02/070221065200.htm).

  We’ve used NFP for years and I love it because I couldn’t stand the hormonal methods;  they just don’t seem to agree with my body.


I use the FAM and it is working fine

image
Mrs. Ski 012609 wrote:

 We used Vaginal Contraceptive Film. It's a thin sheet of spermicide ( I bought it from Target) and it dissolves for easy clean up.


Milspouse.com Moderator: General Discussion & In-Laws

what? what is that? I need to know more. lol. I cannot use any form of birth control due to kidney disease so we opt for the traditional method and probably the only married people on earth still buying condoms.lol.



"Women must not depend upon the protection of a man, but must be taught to protect herself." -Susan B. Anthony

www.jennifercomptonracing.com

image
I would investigate the effectiveness of the "alternative" birth control methods to the shots and the pill. You actually have to look at some contraception info or rating sites rather than the manufacturer sites, because the claimed effectiveness of methods are under very controlled conditions and stats can be skewed to make them say what you want. You'd be surprised at the "true" effectiveness of different methods. Also, most methods use hormones. Maybe Google something like "birth control true statistics"...or the like. I have heard (but don't take this as a fact!) that the NuvaRing is really only about 95% effective. Patches of other medications have ALWAYS come off me as I sweat a lot or have clothing rubbing against it no matter where I put it. I have taken the pill for about 27 yrs. Nightly I take meds, but often I forget the pill even if it is stored with the others as I frequently forget to re-rubber band it to my pill saver. I also don't prefer a method that purposely has me skip periods, because that monthly nuisance is a positive sign to me that I almost surely am not pregnant. I would very much like to know more about Mirena or other IUDs, but my fear is that it will come out. My doc last told me that she's only seen that happen twice in many, many insertions, and it was within the first week. IUDs can be removed if you want to get pregnant and since they are non-hormonal, you can usually start trying right away. My husband and I do not want a pregnancy. We are over 40. He is a selfish jerk about getting a vasectomy (wah, wah from the OIF shelled veteran-WTH?) even after much factual discussion with him. Possibly I will have my tubes tied. I am angry because I have a fat tummy and this is not just a small process like it would be for him.
I am whatever you say I am. If I wasn't then why would I say I am?

image
Amanda Zenni, RN wrote:

I use ParaGuard (Copper) IUD and love it. I've had it for two years and the side effects are very little if none. The great part about it is, its good for 13 years! I do not have any children yet, but my husband and I are discussing it. When we are ready we can take it out and the IUD's effects are automatically reversed since it doesn't use hormones. Like with any other birth control or medications/procedures everyone is different and side effects vary. I hope that helps!



Amanda Zenni, RN "With God anything is possible!" Please, check out my blog for coupons, recipes, advice and other tid bits: http://onewomanuso.blogspot.com


I actually heard about the Copper IUD and read that it's the safer or the IUDs and it's non-hormonal. Plus if you have had breast cancer or have a history of it, then it's still fine to use. I'm like NatGuardWife, I don't ever wan children. I have 2 beautiful step-daughters and that's enough for me. I don't plan to ever get pregnant but i've heard that if I do decide to, that I have a better chance with the Copper then I do with the others (after getting it removed that is.) I do have a question though, was it painful when they put it in and how did you feel right after getting it in?

 


navy wife Pictures, Images and Photos
Follow me on my blog :) http://cowgirlandthesailor.blogspot.com/

image

Thank you all for giving me your input! I go back to the health department July 11th (whre I get my birth control) and I plan to talk to my doctor. I can't do the shot anymore... and I've also noticed aside from bleeding a lot, weight gain, and my mood swings, I've also had a lot of hair loss. I think I may talk to my doctor about Mirena (seems to be what most suggest and what my husband thinks I should do). I've heard a lot say that if you haven't had children, then it may not be a good idea... but because I already hve 2 step-daughters I don't want anymore children. Please continue giving me your input though! Great information from all of all!


navy wife Pictures, Images and Photos

image

hmmm well scratch what I just said about possbily doing Mirena. I just saw on their website that if you've had breastcancer, you can't have it and I had cancer 2 years ago. So back to the drawing board to look at more options.


navy wife Pictures, Images and Photos

image

I am currently on the Depo shot, and have been for about a year now. I must say that I absolutely HATE it. My mood swings have been horrible and within first couple of months of being on the shot, I had heavy bleeding for close to 2 months. I've tried birth control pills but I always forgot to take them so that really isn't an option for me.

What methods of Birth Control do you all use other then the shot, pills, and of course condoms? Also, what kind of side effects (if any) did you have with it?


navy wife Pictures, Images and Photos

image

@Heather, lol see that's my problem taking things everyday is not an option for me.

@Chinrse I've thought about Mirena but I wasn't sure how bad the side effects of it were.

 

All I know is that I can't stay on the shot much longer. I really do hate it. So if anyone is considering it, DON'T! lol


navy wife Pictures, Images and Photos

image
Soldier and Spouse wrote:

I know you said "other than the pill" but I had been taking Ortho-Cyclene for 11 years and loved it. AND I went off it in February and got pregnant in April. I thought it would take longer than that but it didn't. It's a little different than Ortho-Tricyclene because it has the same amount hormone level for the the weeks instead of different leves like the Tricyclene. I got it because I was bleeding heavily. I found it easy to remember because I would put it by my contact case so when I would take my contacts out at night I would remember to take them as well.


I mean I guess taking a pill isn't really out of the question, i'm just scared that I'd forget too. Did you have any side effects with taking it?


navy wife Pictures, Images and Photos

I know you said "other than the pill" but I had been taking Ortho-Cyclene for 11 years and loved it. AND I went off it in February and got pregnant in April. I thought it would take longer than that but it didn't. It's a little different than Ortho-Tricyclene because it has the same amount hormone level for the the weeks instead of different leves like the Tricyclene. I got it because I was bleeding heavily. I found it easy to remember because I would put it by my contact case so when I would take my contacts out at night I would remember to take them as well.

Nope I never had any problems with the pill I was taking. In fact, I almost want to contribute my minimum morning sickness to the fact that I did so well on the pill. I was reading that if you took the pill and didnt feel sick than you might not get back morning sickness. The only time I felt a little queezy was when I would (very seldom) forget to take one then have to double up the next day. But even then, I would take the missed one halfway between the two that were scheduled and it really wasnt that bad.

 

There are a ton of little tricks you can do to remind yourself. I did the contact lense thing. You can also leave them sitting out with what you plan to have for dinner that night. Once you get into a habit of taking them, it will become second nature. It was funny, I would always think about them after I would have sex. And even funnier, I would think about them after I "self pleasured." Like I was going to get myself pregnant or something. I'm not that good haha.

image

I had the Implanon for a year and a half after my daughter was born and I was miserable! Literally, from the day it was inserted to the day it was taken out I couldn't lose any of my baby weight. Within three weeks of having it removed I dropped 20 pounds. I also spotted for 30-40 days at a time while on it. Since they told me the spotting should pass, I didn't give up, but after 1.5 years I'd had enough. Now my husband and I just use condoms (when he's here...lol). When I was younger I used the pill (ortho tri-cyclen) for years and was fine with it til I went off it for a few years when I was TTC with my ex-husband. When I went back on it years later, I had bad nausea several times a day. Don't know why it made me sick the second time around, but I went off it... that's how I ended up with my 2 1/2 yr old cutie. After all that, condoms are just the easiest for us.


www.wickedwitandwisdom.blogspot.com

Ok... I know you wrote the book on how to not get pregnant and all, but you ask any physician and they will tell you that there is no magical day of the month when you can't get pregnant, you absolutely can get pregnant even during your period, and after your period, and before your period, ANYTIME.  Now that being said, there are times of the month when it is less likely that a pregnancy will occur, but there are no times of the month when it is impossible for pregnancy to occur.  Therefore, the temperature/rhythm/cervical position method, is not a reliable method.  If you managed not to get pregnant by this method, its because you got lucky!  And as I said before, there are MANY things going on in your body that can at any time alter your body temperature, alter your bodily fluids, alter internal structures, anything.  Body temperature is a very complex thing and you would be amazed if you understood the wonders of the body and how it maintains homeostasis and what really goes on in your body that you don't know about and why.  Did you know that the only "positive" sign of pregnancy is actually seeing the baby on an ultrasound and hearing a heartrate???  Missing your period, morning sickness, positive pregnancy test, cervical changes, mood levels, weight gain, etc. are not considered positive signs of pregnancy.  Why?  Because although all of those signs are presumptive of pregnancy, all of them can be caused by something else other than pregnancy and therefore are not considered a positive sign of pregnancy, even a pregnancy test!!!  Same thing applies to your method.  Relying on temperature, cervix position and fluids, etc. are not reliable because any deviation that would indicate to you that it is safe to have sex without getting pregnant can be caused by something else going on in the body, not just your body telling you its not in a fertile period.  Again, if you managed to not get pregnant, your lucky, but that's not a normal expected outcome with someone not using complete abstinence or a reliable form of birth control.


  I worked at an OB/GYN clinic a couple years ago and we had many many girls come in for birth control needs.  We gave the depo shot alot, but I have heard nothing but horror stories from the people who have been on it.  Girls would say they started losing their hair, gained insane amounts of weight, had crazy mood swings, etc.  This is what I can tell you about the birth control methods I'm familiar with that we used at the clinic...

 

IUD- now mirena is the most common one used.  The pros of using Mirena is that of course it lasts for years, which is awesome if your like me and have a hard time keeping up with daily birth control like the pill.  It gets put in by your doctor in the office, only takes a few minutes and your good to go.  Cons of this form of birth control--  it may cause horrible abdominal and pelvic cramps, it may cause heavy bleeding, and not very commonly but very possible that it can tear through the tissue wall and become embedded and cause more serious problems.  Probably not so much of an issue for tricare insurance, but it is very very expensive.  We have used this birth control in many people who already have kids and definitely do not want anymore in the next several years, but if you change your mind you can always have it taken out early and have kids soon after.  We have had maybe about 1/4 of the people who have had this put in come in to have it removed due to side effects such as bad cramping and bleeding or that wanted to start having kids again

 

Pill-  most are pretty familiar with the pill.  But there are alot of different kinds out now.  With those you need to pay most attention to the hormones in them and the levels, some have high hormone levels in them, some only have one hormone, some are a very low dose hormone.  The type and level of hormones in the pill will determine the possibility of having more side effects or less side effects.  And alot of girls think that as long as they take the pill everyday it is effective.  That's the first mistake.  Birth control pills are very time sensitive and must be taken at the same exact time or minutes within everyday to have the maximum effectiveness.  Even if you take your pill everyday, if you don't take it at the same time everyday, your risks of getting pregnant on it are significantly increased.  You have to have a constant stable level of the hormones in your  body at all times to have protection, if you take your pill at 5pm today and at 9pm tomorrow, your hormone level will be decreased during that time and that increases the chance of getting pregnant

 

The implant-  This used to be Norplant, but the FDA has taken Norplant off the market due to health and safety issues associated with it.  Now they have Implanon.  We newly started using this when I worked at the clinic.  It is inserted under the skin, usually in the arm, and is left there for several years.  It has the same effectiveness as the IUD.  Pros- like I said, it last for usually around 3 years, high effectiveness, usually pretty low side effects.  Cons- You will be able to feel it, most likely you will be able to see it since its only under the thin top layers of your skin, not so commonly, but very possibly you may get scarring at the site of insertion, it can damange nerves in the skin where it is injected, you may have alot of site irritation, redness, pain lasting from days to weeks or even longer.  I think for the most part those that have had this have been pretty satisfied with it and not had too many complaints

 

The ring-  This would be the Nuvaring.  Its a flexible rubber ring about the size of a hair tie.  It is placed in the vagina right behind the pubic bone, which is what keeps it in place.  Its kind of a step between the pill and the IUD.  It is changed monthly, its in during the month and you take it out for the week of your period, but the time frame is alittle more flexible.  You can leave it out up to about a week, but you can put it back in sooner if you have a short period.  Because it goes along the time line as your period its pretty easy to remember when to take it out and put it back in.  Pros- less invasive than the IUD, you put it in yourself and don't need to go into the doctors office to have the physician place it.  It lasts for a month, so you don't have to worry about remembering to mess with it everyday like the pill.  You can't feel it, unless you don't place it correctly, but its very easy to place so that shouldn't be a problem.  If it does come out for some reason, you do have a pretty decent time window to replace it to maintain its effectiveness.  Its a very low dose of hormones so it does not cause alot of side effects.  You will most likely have a shorter, and much lighter period, and alot of people said that after several months of being on it, they start not having a period at all, and have a huge decreased in the common PMS symptoms.  Cons- it is a pretty big ring and usually fits pretty securely behind the pubic bone, but people have said that it has come out during sex before, and some have said that their guys have noticed it was in there-but not always in a bad way!

 

The patch-  I don't even really want to go there.  I have seen more cases of women getting pregnant on it or having serious side effects than people who actually liked it.  Obviously, you can see it on the skin, it can come off or loosen up.  When used even 100% correctly, it still has a lower effectiveness than other birth controls.  Pros- its not an every day thing like that pill, its not invasive like the IUD or implant.  Cons- high potential for side effects, lower effectiveness.  I just really wouldn't recommend this to anyone.  Its more convenient than the pill, but I've seen too much negative come from it.

 

Then of course you already know about the Depo shot, and most know about the barrier methods of birth control like male/female condoms, diaphragms, sponges.  Those all have lower effectiveness and are just kind of a pain in the ass to mess with before and after sex.  When the mood strikes, messing around trying to use spermicides and diaphragms, and put this and that in place... well it can really kill the mood quick!!! 

 

Every birth control has its pros and cons and the preference and effectiveness differs for every person and depends solely on their personal situation.  Usually the pill is usually a good universal form for most, but if you can't remember to take it at the same time everyday, then it will be worthless for you.  If you haven't had kids, the IUD is probably not a good choice for you.  If you have sensitive skin, or have a problem with being able to see something implanted in your skin, then the implant is definitely not for you.  Not to get too graphic or TMI here, but if your hubby is... very big... down there... or if you have had alot of kids, the ring may not be a good choice for you.  Multiple births can change the shape of the bone structure down there and if they ring cant fit snuggly behind the bone and lay snuggly in the tissue, it may fall out easily, or if your husband is very well endowed, and I do mean like very big, there is a good possibility it may come out during sex often.  So you really just need to evaluate your personal individual factors to decide what method is best for you.

 

Personally, I have been on the Nuvaring, and I have never had a major issue with it since I've been on it.  I stopped having a period about two months after being on it, never had the monthly cramping and bloating, loved not having a period.  It was always very easy to put in and take out each month.  The only problem I've ever had was it coming out a couple times during sex, but it wasn't a problem, I just put it back in or I waited until after then put it in.  Otherwise, never had a problem with it, and I even think I lost weight while I was on it, and had better skin

 

Hope all of this helped alittle!  Good luck with everything and if you need anything else let me know and I will try my best to help!!!

 

 


 @AmyThomas-- "I don't take any form of birth control because they are all like poison to your body"..........

 

Um... most birth controls are just hormones... the same hormones your body produces naturally... so how is a hormone pill (birth control pill), or other hormone releasing form of birth control considered "poisoning" your body???   Or condoms... how do they poison your body???  Unless you have an allergy to latex!  

 

You can get pregnant ANYTIME of the month, yes that includes on your period too, not just the day your ovulating.  If you really think that as long as you don't have sex when your ovulating you won't get pregnant... Your about to have a rude awakening someday.  The body temperature thing???  Your body temperature changes constantly with the environment, with internal body changes, constantly!  I would not rely on body temperature to determine if its safe to have sex or not without getting pregnant!

 

It is okay to be against birth control for whatever reason, but maybe before deciding your against birth control or trying to advise someone else not to use birth control, you need to do some more research on birth control itself and the different methods and hormones and their effects on the body.  Then you should do more research on alternative methods of not getting pregnant other than birth control medications...  Cause watching the calendar and taking your temperature are definitely not reliable and not recommended to anyone seriously not wanting to get pregnant.  It just sounds to me like you are very misinformed or not very well educated on birth control and alternatives. 


I have a question for all the Mirena users: do y'all have kids already?  Or did you OBGYN let you get it without first having kids?

I've been trying to decide which bc I want to go back on (I hated the patch, and ortho-triclyclen made me crazy- I had no control over my emotions and it drove both of us crazy).  And of course I'm terrible at remembering to take the pill.  We've been using just condoms for the past 3 years and so far no pregnancies, but I've also had to deal with horrible cramps during my periods (on of the reasons I went on bc originally).  I'm incredibly indecisive and after so many issues, I have no idea what I want to go back on.  

IMO, the Mirena sounds like the best bet, but reading from their website, it said its mostly for women who have already had at least one child.  I do NOT want kids EVER.  It's a position I've held my entire life, and at 27 it hasn't changed...nor is it going to.  My husband is OK with that fact (he knew I didn't want kids well before he married me).

Anyone know if they let women have it who haven't had kids yet?


Behind every strong soldier there is an even stronger woman who stands by him and supports him and loves him with all her heart.

One more question....does TRICARE cover it?  I guess that would be another deciding factor haha


Behind every strong soldier there is an even stronger woman who stands by him and supports him and loves him with all her heart.

 Hey.  I'm really bad about remembering to take the pill, so I did my research and decided the Mirena was the one for me and I was right.  It's a cinch for them to insert and I haven't had any issues since.  The strings can poke him occasionally, but it doesn't happen often.  And your cycle does become a bit irregular, but after several months mine completely disappeared. 

I've had it in for 2 yrs now and I love it.  I even recommended it to a friend after she had her baby and she loves it too.  You just check monthly to make sure you can still feel the strings and then they check at your annual checkup. Best birth control decision I ever made!

i am pregnant right now but after we have the baby i will prob go back on the pill i just set an alarm for every day on my phone so i don't forget my pill i was on yasmin and i liked it but i tried levora and hated it as it gave me severe nausea  worse than i have even had during my pregnancy and also my dr let me have four months worth of pill pack so i could have only 4 periods a year i just don't like the idea of having something placed in my body that i cant remove on my own i hope it works

Well I have the IMPLANON that's the thing they put right under your sink in your arm and you have it in there for 3 years but when they go to take it out in 3 years or sooner they can put a new one right back in, if you can handle a shot you can handle this and i love it its the only birth control i like and iv done almost all of them 

/WorkArea/threadeddisc/emoticons/happy.png
-krystal L-

 I liked Nuvaring too.  Used BC Pills for awhile because they clear up my skin.  Nuvaring was great because you don't have to remember everyday.  I had no side effects with it at all.  Good luck.

ask your doctor about a iud. there is some that can stay inside you for up to 5 years or longer one. right now i just started taken the beyaz and so far it is going pretty good. i took the depo shot and i hated it to. and i think it was one of the things that messed up my body. also last year my niece took the depo shot and she bleed for 2 months straight. actually it was longer then two months. the doctor told to try one more shot and see if the bleeding would stop but it didnt.

I have the copper IUD (good for 10 years) and LOVE IT!  I am very sensitive to hormones and was happy to see that this option (non hormone) was available. I am on my 2nd one! The only complication I had was in the first 2 months I had a bit more cramping than usual. Until hubby decides to go under the knife the copper IUD is my #1 choice.  Of course I am told it is best used in those who have already had babies. Good luck. 


Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence. ----Desiderata

iLoveMySailor wrote:

hmmm well scratch what I just said about possbily doing Mirena. I just saw on their website that if you've had breastcancer, you can't have it and I had cancer 2 years ago. So back to the drawing board to look at more options.


navy wife Pictures, Images and Photos

How about if you have a family history of Breast Cancer. Have you heard about that. I currently have Mirena and do have side effects ( crampiness, bloating, I've had several fungal infections due to the Mirena also) so I am thinking of finding another method myself.


 Yes, Tricare covers it.

And, everyone that I know that hasn't had children that got it were in a lot of pain for a while.  A couple had to have it taken out due to the amount of pain they were in.  Their docs said it has something to do with their uterus not being stretched out from having children, or used to having things in it because they haven't had children yet. 

Just talk to your doc and see if they are willing to put it in for you.  There are people out there that haven't had children yet that have it.  It's just if your doc is willing to put it in knowing you haven't had children.

 I have the Mirena IUD, and LOVE IT!!!  The only side effect I have is no periods, except for maybe some spotting for a day or two every few months or so.  But, I haven't even had that in more than a year!    There was some pain and discomfort the day I got it and a couple of days after, but since then it's been a breeze!  I've never been happier! 

It stays in for up to 5 years.  It can be taken out at any time by your doctor, and had to be inserted by your doctor.  I've had it for 3 years with no problems! 

image

I got my tubes tied!! lol

Honestly, I had so many problems with birth control it was ridiculous.  Depo, pills, it went on and on, and after I had my baby 4 months ago, I said, that's it!! lol


Fabulous jewelry from $12-26! Check it out at Just Jewelry by Cheryl or become on Fan of it on Facebook to learn about monthly specials, promotions, discounts and more!

image

 

Amy Thomas wrote:

I don't take any form of birth control because they are all like poison to your body.  I monitor my cervix position, morning temperature, and other natural signs that let me know when I'm ovulating.   I don't do it for religious purposes, I do it because I choose to understand my body and let it do what it is supposed to do naturally.  Many people snub there nose at this because they feel that they would not be able to abstain from sex during the times when you are furtile, but my husband and I are creative during those times and have not felt deprived in anyway.  Plus, the wait till we can have intercourse kinda builds up the tension and makes it fun.  If you are interested in this, there is a book called Taking Charge of Your Body that explains everything.  Just know that it is unforgiving if you don't follow the rules!

 


Perhaps people "snub their noses" at this because of the way you present it. By saying you don't want poison, and prefer to understand your body, puts down our personal choice to take birthcontrol implying that we don't understand our bodies and choose to poison it instead. IMO.



"The two most powerful warriors are patience and time." -L. Tolstoy

image

Have you ever thought about NuvaRing? I think its amazing! A couple of my friends also use it. Its the ring that you insert, leave it there for 3 weeks, take it out for 1, and put a new one in after. My GYN said I could leave it in for 24 days, and out for 4. I know the first script you get of it usually comes with a countdown timer that will beep when you need to put one in and take it out. It is very convenient, and I can't feel it, nor can my husband during sex. You have a normal period on it, and I've never had any complications like spotting or bloating or sexual side effects. 



Daisypath Anniversary tickers

 
Q: Dear Sally: I was dumped over a promotion!

A: Dear Sally, My friend dumped me because my husband was promoted and hers was not, how do I deal with this? -- Rank Ruined Friendship Dear Rank... Read more.

Q: Nervous about Nookie after Deployment?

A: My husband comes home from his first deployment soon. We have only been married a little over a year and he has been deployed most of that time.... Read more.

Q: Worried about OPSEC?

A: My husband is deployed and they are scheduled to be coming home soon. I keep seeing other spouses in the unit posting stuff like dates and locatio... Read more.

Q: Are You Slowly Going Insane in Base Housing?

A: I know lots of people who hate base housing, but I really like living on base. Well, I did until my new neighbors moved in... they are driving me... Read more.

Q: Should we consider geo-baching?

A: At what point should we let our kids have a say in whether or not we accompany their dad on his next PCS? Our children, ages 15 and 17, have really... Read more.

 
  • Follow us
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Pinterest
  • Google +