Gigya Leaderboard

New AF wife. Lots of questions, hope that's okay!

Hey! My husband is just finishing up tech school and I know how you feel.  Doing research before he left and while he was at bmt helped with the whole process. 

If your husband's tech school is over the approved amount then you will be included on his orders for tech school.  You will not be able to move immediately though.  Once your husband arrives at tech school he will have a checklist of things to complete before his MTL will approve you to move.  For us it took 3 weeks for my husband to have everything done and approved and I arrived a week later. 

Then you'll have to decide if you want to have tmo move you or if you want to do a dity move.  We did a dity from IN to MS for tech school and we did not make any money.  All of our expenses were covered but there wasn't anything extra from our TMO reimbursement.  We did get an extra $2,000 from DLA so that helped with setting up the new house.  We are in the middle of a TMO move now for our first duty station and it is so much nicer than a dity move in my opinion. 

You'll also have to decide if you're going to live on or off base.  I have heard that some bases will not approve Seprats (Separate Rations) to live off base.  If you're going to live on base your husband will have to fill out an application and set up everything before you can move.  Their MTL has to approve where you're going to live. 

I will warn you that depending on your husband's job you may not have a lot of time with him or he may just be super busy at home studying.  My husband is in Weather and it is a very difficult tech school.  He spent a lot of time studying in addition to the 12-14 hour days at base for school, pt, briefings, etc.  So, it is nice that I was able to be here with him but honestly it's not always very fun because they are so busy and stressed out. 

We were recently told by TMO that they will not ship a pov stateside.  The only time it is approved is if your pcs orders are OCONUS.  So you will have to verify that with your TMO office. 

Hopefully that helped answer a few of your questions :)

Hi there! Just signed up here today :) I have lots of questions, because I am somewhat neurotic when it comes to knowing whats going on and planning. Something I know I will have to drastically ease up on being married in the AF. My husband leaves for basic in February. I hope ya'll dont mind me asking so many things at once, just trying to feel more at ease with this whole situation we are about to embark on. First, when we get assigned to a base, do we have to drive ourselves or does the military ship our vehicles? I know, this may sound silly but it's legitimately something I was wondering the other night. Second, I was told that if my husband's tech school is 6 months or longer I could move down there with him. Is that an expense purely out of our own pocket? I would assume so, just getting clarification. Lastly, I've seen some posts on here that wives/families are living at a "Duty Station" while their husbands are in basic. What is that? I thought that while he was in basic I stayed where we live now and once he graduates from his Tech school we are told what base to move to. As you can probably tell, I am very anxious, and somewhat uninformed. Any advice is greatly appreciated!! 

From what I understand once you receive your orders you have the option to have them move both you and your stuff or you can do a DITY move which sometimes you make money off of doing it that way. They will only move 1 car for you though . Hope it helps!

The only time the military wll authorize the shipment of 1 vehicle is if you are going to an overseas (OCONUS) assignment, they will book your flight for you.  If you are stationed in the lower 48 (CONUS) you will drive to the location. Alaska is the exception as you can drive or be flown to it. They will pay for the mileage (MALT) and lodging/food (Per Diem) as you travel for they will authorize a certain number of travel days to get there, standard is around 350 miles per day give or take.

Yes if his Tech School is over 20 weeks in 1 location, then they can authorize the move of you and your things to that location. It will be paid for if authorized. If you decide to go down there on your own then it is out of pocket.  No one gets housing while at Basic, you reside where you did when he joined.  So not sure where you are getting that from. 

Quoted

Hi there! Just signed up here today :) I have lots of questions, because I am somewhat neurotic when it comes to knowing whats going on and planning. Something I know I will have to drastically ease up on being married in the AF. My husband leaves for basic in February. I hope ya'll dont mind me asking so many things at once, just trying to feel more at ease with this whole situation we are about to embark on. First, when we get assigned to a base, do we have to drive ourselves or does the military ship our vehicles? I know, this may sound silly but it's legitimately something I was wondering the other night. Second, I was told that if my husband's tech school is 6 months or longer I could move down there with him. Is that an expense purely out of our own pocket? I would assume so, just getting clarification. Lastly, I've seen some posts on here that wives/families are living at a "Duty Station" while their husbands are in basic. What is that? I thought that while he was in basic I stayed where we live now and once he graduates from his Tech school we are told what base to move to. As you can probably tell, I am very anxious, and somewhat uninformed. Any advice is greatly appreciated!! 

Q: Dear Sally: I was dumped over a promotion!

A: Dear Sally, My friend dumped me because my husband was promoted and hers was not, how do I deal with this? -- Rank Ruined Friendship Dear Rank... Read more.

Q: Nervous about Nookie after Deployment?

A: My husband comes home from his first deployment soon. We have only been married a little over a year and he has been deployed most of that time.... Read more.

Q: Worried about OPSEC?

A: My husband is deployed and they are scheduled to be coming home soon. I keep seeing other spouses in the unit posting stuff like dates and locatio... Read more.

Q: Are You Slowly Going Insane in Base Housing?

A: I know lots of people who hate base housing, but I really like living on base. Well, I did until my new neighbors moved in... they are driving me... Read more.

Q: Should we consider geo-baching?

A: At what point should we let our kids have a say in whether or not we accompany their dad on his next PCS? Our children, ages 15 and 17, have really... Read more.

• Follow us
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Pinterest
  • Google +