Gigya Leaderboard

Soldier of the Year question

My husband got chosen (he's 1 of the 2 soldiers) to represent his unit for Soldier of the Year. I'm very excited/proud of him but he acts like its just "whatever". He mentioned a few weeks ago how his command had asked him to participate but he declined at that time. Well he found out yesterday morning that his command is forcing him to now participate. My husband will of course do his best. (he's NOT one to half a$$ anything, he always gives his all) but I don't understand why he acts like it's no biggy. Wouldn't/Shouldn't he be more excited? All I know is that I am & have always been very proud of him & I think it would be a huge honor to be chosen. My question is what all does being chosen mean for him? He said if he won, it would give him promotion points & recognition by the higher ups. I'm not trying to sound naive, but to me it sounds like a big deal & something to be proud of, & he keeps acting as if it's no big deal..so I was jw what it's all about.

Honestly he probably just isn't getting his hopes up. My husband is sailor of the quarter and it means very little to him as well. Countinue to be proud of him but understand that so many things take into effect with promotions that getting this award actually means very little towards it in the end. Him just being nominated means that they are already aware of how amazing at his job he is and not just his higher ups are aware. Chiefs/sargents talk to each other about their men/women. Its an amazing thing to be nominated and its not that he doesn't care but he just knows what is more important. 

Q: Dear Sally: I was dumped over a promotion!

A: Dear Sally, My friend dumped me because my husband was promoted and hers was not, how do I deal with this? -- Rank Ruined Friendship Dear Rank... Read more.

Q: Nervous about Nookie after Deployment?

A: My husband comes home from his first deployment soon. We have only been married a little over a year and he has been deployed most of that time.... Read more.

Q: Worried about OPSEC?

A: My husband is deployed and they are scheduled to be coming home soon. I keep seeing other spouses in the unit posting stuff like dates and locatio... Read more.

Q: Are You Slowly Going Insane in Base Housing?

A: I know lots of people who hate base housing, but I really like living on base. Well, I did until my new neighbors moved in... they are driving me... Read more.

Q: Should we consider geo-baching?

A: At what point should we let our kids have a say in whether or not we accompany their dad on his next PCS? Our children, ages 15 and 17, have really... Read more.

• Follow us
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Pinterest
  • Google +