Gigya Leaderboard

STD

I'm active duty AF. We are required to get an annual HIV test, and females obviously are required to get their annual PAP (which tests for STDs it can detect). Other than that the only bloodwork I get done annually is Cholesterol, etc. and other standard tests. I've never seen any STDs on my bloodwork results... I actually think the HIV annually is a little ridiculous since my husband and I are married and obviously not sleeping around, but I guess they can't just make it mandatory for single MMs.

You Don't Know Unless You SERVE.

I don't think it's just MEN as you stated.. I want to say EVERONE does.  F and M's  I could be mistaken but I'm pretty sure I'm right on this one.  LOL.

~Heather~

I'm all for testing for HIV annually. It's not a concern of whether or not my husband is faithful, its a concern of limiting the risk of being exposed to the virus. Everyone should use caution when handling bodily fluids but when you're out on deployment and something happens and you have limited options, supplies, or whatever..its difficult to use caution.

Hang on, I wanna try something!

I believe they do. I know they are tested annually for HIV/AIDS.

My husbands unit is also tested annually. 

In my husbands unit it is mandatory so he isn't going to willingly get tested or  because of any suspicion.  I don't know if it is different because he is the reserves or not. They are tested during the annual medical/physical. 

Women also get tested once a year or more often since bacterial STDs are so common. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

My hubby does go to the doctor annually and at his yearly exam they do a mandatory STD / HIV test. 

Forgiving does not erase the bitter past. A healed memory is not a deleted memory. Instead, forgiving what we cannot forget creates a new way to remember. We change the memory of our past into a hope for our future (Lewis B. Smedes)

My husband is Army and I've never heard of this. My hubby has been in for six years and was tested maybe three or four times for HIV/AIDS (it's normal to have blood screened for HIV whenever it's taken and that's when he was tested) and he goes to the doctor every year. My husband was tested once for STD's, but that's normal. For someone to be tested yearly, I think that is extremely odd and I don't see any purpose in doing so. It's really strange for service members to be tested any time they go on leave or take a pass.  

www.stetsonsandstilettos.blogspot.com

Men and women are given an HIV test in the USMC, but men are not tested for any other STDs. Women however are when they receive their annual pap and pelvic exam. STD testing for men involves using a very large cotton swab placed in the opening of the penis, so your spouses would definitely know if he has been tested or not. I personally think that if it is mandatory for a woman to be tested annually they should also make it mandatory for men to be tested annually for STDs along with HIV. Women are not the only carriers of STDs if you know what I mean /WorkArea/threadeddisc/emoticons/redlips.png.

Do Men in the military get an annual test for STDs?

@ heather yes M/F should have been the correct question to ask. @ trish this is exactly my point my husband never goes to the Doctor so Obviously Im concerened. I think they should make it mandatory.

/WorkArea/threadeddisc/emoticons/happy.png 

Last time my husband was tested was when he came back from Iraq I think before that he said he never got tested. I got tested when I went to the doc for the first time as a married woman. The doc asked if I wanted to be tested and I said sure why not I was tested 6 months before but if anything does come up well then I can fix it now instead of it causing problems later. I think annual testing is enough for military members and of course when the come back from deployment.

His Cupcake Forever <3 Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Army Wifey wrote:

Hubby was tested before and after deployment, each deployment. I'm not sure about annually.

But funny thing happened in the OB/GYN office my first visit to a military doc. I asked for STD screening, etc, as I always have as a single person. She looked at me with confusion and asked if there was anything I wanted to talk about? I said no, thanked her for her concern and mentioned, I'm responsible for my body, not anyone else, I'd like to know if I'm good to go. It's not a matter of trusting, it's about loving. I love my husband very much and if there's something wrong with me, I'd like to know right away. Doesn't mean I trust him any less or love him any less. No one is responsible for my body other than me. So to rule out anything that may come back and bite me in the booty... because we all know it's possible, I'd like to take precaution.

And, well, people make mistakes. Unfortunately, there are many married people that make mistakes, regardless of condom wearing, there's still a risk. At Ft Bliss, there is a GREAT concern so much so that his unit has had a sexual health counselor give a presentation on the latest happenings in Ft Bliss, called HAGS. Herpes. AIDS, Gonorrhea, Syphillus. It's one of those 4 for 1 deals. It's so much of a problem, they're being lectured on it. A friend of my step daughter, her mothers unit, 15 cases were reported since January. 15 cases alone. that's pretty scary. Married or not, it's about your sexual HEALTH and not anything else, not hurt feelings, mistrust, misunderstanding, blah blah blah, it's about taking care of your own health and that's all.

Hook 'em Horns!

I couldnt agree more!   I asked to be screened myself.  It didnt really seem to matter to the doctor one way or another, though.  She didnt even ask .  I have to wonder, though,  if maybe this has something to do with my husbands testing, too.  Of course, the only reason he knew that he was being tested was he works at the hospital and had to pull up his own records to get an x-ray.  I think he has to sign a consent form for the HIV test, but that might be because he works in the hospital, too.  For example, he has to get a TB test every year, too, and whenever he is exposed to it, which seems to be a lot.

My husband gets tested for everything every year as do I.  I have never come up positive for anything, but in my youth I wasnt always as careful and nothing is 100%.  Believer it or not, there have been outbreaks of HIV in the military, as well as, most std's.  When my husband was in AIT, there was a medic's AIT going on and several of the students tested positive for HIV.  The students said that they had been sharing needles to practice giving IV catheters on one another and thought that they were ok because they didnt think anyone in the military could have HIV.  

I know that at the last station my husband was at and the new one we're at, he gets tested annually during his physical, they do a full blood panel. Every 6 months though he gets tested for HIV as do I. No, its not because there are suspicions, its because we both know that the virus can lay dormant in your system for a while before making itself known. So far, so good with everything, but I know that I'll continue to get tested annually and every 6 months and so will he.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but there are some diseases/infections that you can get that aren't transmitted through only sexual contact. Not to be gross or anything but things like scabies you can get from sharing a towel with someone who has it. Plus there are some that many people are asymptomatic to, meaning they might have an STD or an STI and not know it because they aren't showing any symptoms for it. Like one previous poster said, no one's going to look after my health better than me. And its not about mistrust or suspicions being raised. My biggest reason is that I know from high school health classes etc, that HIV can lay dormant in your system for a while. Having been raped, I'm already one statistic, I'm not trying to become another.

In my husband's unit its mandatory to have an std and drug test when you return from any leave. On top of that my husband goes in for an anual HIV test.

@ SJay that's what I said, but my husband's unit is really jacked up and they have had problems with soldiers past and present matter of fact one just got discharged for testing positive for HIV. Matter fact I remember him telling me that they got tested a lot in AIT everytime they got back from pass or whatever it's called when they receive off base pass they got tested then. I say annually is good enough. /WorkArea/threadeddisc/emoticons/happy.png

I wonder when we get to our new duty station will they be doing the same.

Funny thing is he thinks its normal procedure, wait till I tell him that it's not the same for others haha poor man. lol

LTcavalrywife wrote:

My husband is Army and I've never heard of this. My hubby has been in for six years and was tested maybe three or four times for HIV/AIDS (it's normal to have blood screened for HIV whenever it's taken and that's when he was tested) and he goes to the doctor every year. My husband was tested once for STD's, but that's normal. For someone to be tested yearly, I think that is extremely odd and I don't see any purpose in doing so. It's really strange for service members to be tested any time they go on leave or take a pass.  

www.stetsonsandstilettos.blogspot.com

My hubby has been tested annually since he joined the Army.  We receive a little post card every year that says we need to keep it with our records. HIV & all other STDs.

This Is What Life Is | March for Babies

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Hubby was tested before and after deployment, each deployment. I'm not sure about annually.

But funny thing happened in the OB/GYN office my first visit to a military doc. I asked for STD screening, etc, as I always have as a single person. She looked at me with confusion and asked if there was anything I wanted to talk about? I said no, thanked her for her concern and mentioned, I'm responsible for my body, not anyone else, I'd like to know if I'm good to go. It's not a matter of trusting, it's about loving. I love my husband very much and if there's something wrong with me, I'd like to know right away. Doesn't mean I trust him any less or love him any less. No one is responsible for my body other than me. So to rule out anything that may come back and bite me in the booty... because we all know it's possible, I'd like to take precaution.

And, well, people make mistakes. Unfortunately, there are many married people that make mistakes, regardless of condom wearing, there's still a risk. At Ft Bliss, there is a GREAT concern so much so that his unit has had a sexual health counselor give a presentation on the latest happenings in Ft Bliss, called HAGS. Herpes. AIDS, Gonorrhea, Syphillus. It's one of those 4 for 1 deals. It's so much of a problem, they're being lectured on it. A friend of my step daughter, her mothers unit, 15 cases were reported since January. 15 cases alone. that's pretty scary. Married or not, it's about your sexual HEALTH and not anything else, not hurt feelings, mistrust, misunderstanding, blah blah blah, it's about taking care of your own health and that's all.

Hook 'em Horns!

Call me naive or whatever, but why should someone get tested if there is no suspicion?

Someone getting tested annually tells me they are doing things they shouldn't.  My hubby hasn't ever had any reason to need to be tested, so why should he?
When he gave blood (he hasn't in many, many years due to laws about having been overseas) they would test the blood before they drew, but again, that's civilian, not military.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me" ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't know.

Hubs hasn't been to the doctor in forever.  He recently went to get cleared to travel overseas for a TDY, they probably tested him then.  When I did the surrogacy he had to get tested, but that wasn't military it was civilian.

I'm going to say No.  Only because of our experience.  The only doc hubby sees is the dentist once a year.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me" ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

it sounds like its specific to branch and unit.  i was active duty and other than when i was in-processing i was not tested for anything like that.

wedding websites

His Queen wrote:

In my husband's unit its mandatory to have an std and drug test when you return from any leave. On top of that my husband goes in for an anual HIV test.

Wow, that seems a little excessive! Is this true for other people too?

"The two most powerful warriors are patience and time." -L. Tolstoy

His Queen wrote:

@ SJay that's what I said, but my husband's unit is really jacked up and they have had problems with soldiers past and present matter of fact one just got discharged for testing positive for HIV. Matter fact I remember him telling me that they got tested a lot in AIT everytime they got back from pass or whatever it's called when they receive off base pass they got tested then. I say annually is good enough. /WorkArea/threadeddisc/emoticons/happy.png

I wonder when we get to our new duty station will they be doing the same.

Hahaha, I was going to say, here is where we could save money on the budget!!

"The two most powerful warriors are patience and time." -L. Tolstoy

Q: Dear Sally: I was dumped over a promotion!

A: Dear Sally, My friend dumped me because my husband was promoted and hers was not, how do I deal with this? -- Rank Ruined Friendship Dear Rank... Read more.

Q: Nervous about Nookie after Deployment?

A: My husband comes home from his first deployment soon. We have only been married a little over a year and he has been deployed most of that time.... Read more.

Q: Worried about OPSEC?

A: My husband is deployed and they are scheduled to be coming home soon. I keep seeing other spouses in the unit posting stuff like dates and locatio... Read more.

Q: Are You Slowly Going Insane in Base Housing?

A: I know lots of people who hate base housing, but I really like living on base. Well, I did until my new neighbors moved in... they are driving me... Read more.

Q: Should we consider geo-baching?

A: At what point should we let our kids have a say in whether or not we accompany their dad on his next PCS? Our children, ages 15 and 17, have really... Read more.

• Follow us
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Pinterest
  • Google +