Gigya Leaderboard

Buying a gun

I could've bought a gun too, I just didn't find one I wanted.  Here in VA the process is the same for spouses or active duty.  All I had to do was present my ID card and a copy of his orders and proof of where I lived and I was good to go.  I'm not saying all states are like that, but VA is, maybe because we are deep in military and govt heartland I have no idea.  The only stipulation either of us had was to verify we did not live in DC and the gun(s) wasn't going into DC.  Once we proved that all was good.  So going back to what I was saying, I didn't have to become a VA resident to purchase a gun, I just had to present the same information as my husband.  My name was on the orders anyway, it didn't just say "dependents" it actually had all of our names on it.

My husband bought a gun a couple years ago.  He bought it in VA, his orders state DC and he's a TX resident.  All he had to do was show his mil ID, copy of orders and a bill from our house (to prove we lived in VA and not in DC).  Once he did all that, 30 mins later he had his gun.  My opinion is, it shouldn't matter what state your residency is in (if you are military).  As long as both states gun laws are being abided I don't have a problem.  Like DC for example. its illegal to have a personal weapon on your person or in your car and it has to be locked up in your home.  VA law is more lax, as long as its registered you can have it with you (or something like that), TX is same way. Hence the reason to prove we lived in VA and not DC.  By law they couldn't have sold my DH his gun if he lived in DC without a required 1 month waiting period (or something).  VA (and TX) do not have waiting periods, you get to take it home that day.  But back to what I was saying.  For military members, I think residency is irrelevant, as long as you can prove you are in whatever state legally (i.e. orders) and your resident state laws aren't being violated, then there isn't a problem.

Trish_the_Dish wrote:

My husband bought a gun a couple years ago.  He bought it in VA, his orders state DC and he's a TX resident.  All he had to do was show his mil ID, copy of orders and a bill from our house (to prove we lived in VA and not in DC).  Once he did all that, 30 mins later he had his gun.  My opinion is, it shouldn't matter what state your residency is in (if you are military).  As long as both states gun laws are being abided I don't have a problem.  Like DC for example. its illegal to have a personal weapon on your person or in your car and it has to be locked up in your home.  VA law is more lax, as long as its registered you can have it with you (or something like that), TX is same way. Hence the reason to prove we lived in VA and not DC.  By law they couldn't have sold my DH his gun if he lived in DC without a required 1 month waiting period (or something).  VA (and TX) do not have waiting periods, you get to take it home that day.  But back to what I was saying.  For military members, I think residency is irrelevant, as long as you can prove you are in whatever state legally (i.e. orders) and your resident state laws aren't being violated, then there isn't a problem.

Agreed! Just to clarify in VA, you have to have a concealed weapons permit (concealed carry permit) to carry it with you or in your vehicle. You have to take a class and take a test which, I think, can be done online actually. It doesn't make sense to say "concealed" because it isn't "concealed" at all... everyone has to be able to see it.

Somethin' like this just don't exist between a backwoods boy and a fairy tale princess <3 We're just livin' our love song :) Do or die and dying isn't an option! OOHRAH!

I know this is a very old thread, but just wanted to post to add to one of the posts above that mentions that driver licensing is something impacted by MSRRA.  Driver licensing laws are state laws and MSRRA does not contain any language that tells the states that military spouses do not need to get a new driver license when they move to a new states.  Some states, on their own, have laws letting us keep our previous license, but others do require spouses to get a new license when we move to the new state on orders. 

I feel your missing the point your husband can buy a gun he has orders, but YOU CANNOT!!

Your second ammendment rights are only in the state you hold a license in.

I am not yet a military spouse, I will be when I retire from the military in 2 years jun2012. I thought I would go ahead and get my feet wet now and learn the ins and outs. Please feel free to ask me any questions, I've had 18 year experience

I am a soon to be male spouse and have just been told something very interesting!!!!

Requirements for military to buy a gun in a different state than your drivers license/home of record is to present Military ID card and Current orders for that location. 

Here is the loophole even though the new bills don't require a spouse to get a drivers license in the new PCS state or pay taxes if claiming a different state of residence, there is no provision for a military spouse to buy a gun out of his/her state of residence while serving as a spouse out of state.

Any thoughts on the matter or has this affected anyone?

I am not yet a military spouse, I will be when I retire from the military in 2 years jun2012. I thought I would go ahead and get my feet wet now and learn the ins and outs. Please feel free to ask me any questions, I've had 18 year experience

Q: Dear Sally: I was dumped over a promotion!

A: Dear Sally, My friend dumped me because my husband was promoted and hers was not, how do I deal with this? -- Rank Ruined Friendship Dear Rank... Read more.

Q: Nervous about Nookie after Deployment?

A: My husband comes home from his first deployment soon. We have only been married a little over a year and he has been deployed most of that time.... Read more.

Q: Worried about OPSEC?

A: My husband is deployed and they are scheduled to be coming home soon. I keep seeing other spouses in the unit posting stuff like dates and locatio... Read more.

Q: Are You Slowly Going Insane in Base Housing?

A: I know lots of people who hate base housing, but I really like living on base. Well, I did until my new neighbors moved in... they are driving me... Read more.

Q: Should we consider geo-baching?

A: At what point should we let our kids have a say in whether or not we accompany their dad on his next PCS? Our children, ages 15 and 17, have really... Read more.

• Follow us
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Pinterest
  • Google +