Gigya Leaderboard

Taxes... A Rant

That is crazy!  I do single and 0 I think.  My husband claims my daughter and I.  I think only one of you can claim a dependant.. I THINK.  I could be wrong.  I'm sorry you owe that money./WorkArea/threadeddisc/emoticons/sad.png

~Heather~

Augh... I feel so bad for you!  Hang in there.. I know it sucks.. but look at it this way...at least you don't owe the $3000 you were supossed to get back if they did their job back... $800 is a lot... but at least try to think of it that way.  (Trying to help, sorry.. LOL)

~Heather~

Augh... I feel so bad for you!  Hang in there.. I know it sucks.. but look at it this way...at least you don't owe the $3000 you were supossed to get back if they did their job right... $800 is a lot... but at least try to think of it that way.  (Trying to help, sorry.. LOL)

~Heather~

Maybe you can work something out w/ your employer?  Maybe THEY can pay 1/2 and you pay the other 1/2?  It wouldn't hurt to ask.. they worse they'll say is no.

~Heather~

It's the marriage penalty, penalizing families with two incomes.  I'm down for single with no dependents, and I have them take out extra money for tax withholding on top of that, and it still wasn't enough this year.

I appreciate military tax breaks this time of year, though. Hope you all are taking advantage of deducting travel expenses for reservists, etc.

It sucks that you owe that much money.  I would not be happy.  I always check my pay stubs very carefully to make sure that what needs to be taken out is being taken out.  Unfortunately, humans make errors, and it seems like payroll is one of those areas that has a lot of them. For example, my last three statements have been wrong on payroll.  They  got corrected, but in one they counted 32 hours of  vacation pay as regular pay.  If I had not alerted them to the fact, I would have an extra 32 hours vacation pay.  I guess I could have not let them know, but I didnt want to cheat them.

A stub won't show a percentage, but quick math can tell you if its at least 10%... but yeah, if you have no children and they put you did, then that totally sucks... I've mentioned this somewhere (maybe no this site) but often times payroll/HR people are high school graduates with little/no experience and usually not a degree of any kind.  I think those people should have some kind of certificate or experience at the least.  I mean if they are handling the 'finances' of people they should be somewhat knowledgeable.  At my last job, the payroll and HR people weren't even citizens.  They were military spouses, but from another country.  Neither of them were educated or knowledgeable of US currency, let alone HR laws, etc.  Our stuff was always messed up.  My current job, there are 3 HR Assistants that are recent HS graduates.  They go to school, but not for HR, one goes to cosmetology school, the other nursing.  How is that anything related to HR/Payroll??

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me" ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

She was just venting being ticked off at her payroll dept for entering her W4 information wrong.  She does owe the money, based on what her employer put for a W4 they didn't take out enough taxes, they put her down with two dependents, when she doesn't have any at all.  So, unfortunately, she does owe the money... expensive lesson to learn...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me" ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That's weird, even putting single w/dependents wouldn't cause you to owe, especially if at end of year you put married with two dependents.  Something else may be causing your owing, not the W4.  What percentage of your total pay was taxes taken? If its around 10% then you wouldn't be owing because of FICA.

However, if both of you have a W4 that shows dependents, then yes, you most likely would owe.  As (I'm sure you know) only one of you can claim dependents on a W4.

Sometimes I just want to punch payroll/HR in the face...

I had short term disability for maternity last year.  So, I call my payroll/benfits/HR dept and they said "Oh, Met Life will send you a W2 on 1/31".. ok... sooooo I wait, I wait until about 2/10 (10 days later) and do some research, come to find out I may not get a W2 because its employee paid.... blah blah...

I call my HR/benefits/payroll again, and now they say "Oh, yeah, you won't get a W2 because its employee paid".. WTF.. you couldn't tell me that 3 weeks prior when I called??

Not that it would've mattered since I had to wait until Feb 14 to file anyway, but it could've sat in the queue sooner.... grr... payroll people, need a kick in the behind..

Heather- Good idea, but knowing my employer, reading the post actually made me laugh out loud. We're talking about a man that refused to give raises, consistently understaffed, and cut corners to make more $$$ at the suffering of his staff and customers. I wish it were an option, but I already talked to payroll and their approach was "our bad, but you have to pay, not us."

PhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanks, Trish.

Yes, I owe it... and unfortunately it's an expensive lesson that wasn't really mine to learn (as I didn't make the mistake)... but in all the years I've done taxes I NEVER had a problem until I worked with this company. Though now looking back on it... there were a lot of things screwed up with that company, so I'm not exactly surprised now. From now on I guess I will just have to double check with any job I have (which is still sad, given that someone else is getting paid to do it right!!!)

PhotobucketPhotobucket

They only took out 14% for me, but took 24% for my husband. We have no children, so I know that what we owe is right. My pay stubs do not indicate what percentage taxes they are taking out, or what I am listed as (single/married with how ever may dependants)... only a dollar amount.

But yes, my husband has always claimed me as a dependant (which again, is why I indicated that I wanted taxes taken out as if I were single with zero dependants). 

I guess it's just more frustrating when it's not your fault! lol Thanks for the support

PhotobucketPhotobucket

Heather- Thank you for the "silver lining"... it just might keep me from killing someone when I write that check today! lol jk

North Shore- To give you an idea I made less then $18,000 in 2010, and the guy that was preparing my taxes said had they taken out the 24% that they should have, we would have had a large refund.

PhotobucketPhotobucket

Alright, so I fully  acknowledge that Taxes are vital to keeping this country, the government, and my husband's job functional. However, I am fuming this tax season! I worked the full year of 2010, and when I originally filed my tax forms I purposely put down that I was single with no dependants so they would take MORE taxes out of my paycheck to insure that we wouldn't owe at the end of the year. BUT some idiot input that I was single with TWO dependants. The result? My hubby and I owe over $800 in federal taxes this year. That's a lot of money to us! I know we have to pay it, but had someone (whose only job is to input these things) had done their job right we would be getting a $3,000 refund, instead of owing over $800. I would have missed $35 a pay check a lot less then I will miss having to write the kind of check I will have to write today.

*sigh* So that's my rant. "Happy" Tax Season to All!

PhotobucketPhotobucket

Q: Dear Sally: I was dumped over a promotion!

A: Dear Sally, My friend dumped me because my husband was promoted and hers was not, how do I deal with this? -- Rank Ruined Friendship Dear Rank... Read more.

Q: Nervous about Nookie after Deployment?

A: My husband comes home from his first deployment soon. We have only been married a little over a year and he has been deployed most of that time.... Read more.

Q: Worried about OPSEC?

A: My husband is deployed and they are scheduled to be coming home soon. I keep seeing other spouses in the unit posting stuff like dates and locatio... Read more.

Q: Are You Slowly Going Insane in Base Housing?

A: I know lots of people who hate base housing, but I really like living on base. Well, I did until my new neighbors moved in... they are driving me... Read more.

Q: Should we consider geo-baching?

A: At what point should we let our kids have a say in whether or not we accompany their dad on his next PCS? Our children, ages 15 and 17, have really... Read more.

• Follow us
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Pinterest
  • Google +