Gigya Leaderboard

A 2nd wife's concern

Kathy wrote:

Yes-you can review the terms of his Divorce Papers,and Miitary Pension Divison order. This should be a very big concern. I would recommend asking a financial planner to review your estate provisions,and look at options. Is the house in both your names? Is it insured upon one of your deaths to be fully paid off? How much heath insurance does he carry? You can go through AARP and look for smaller ones,like $50,000. and find some very affordable ones. If you have been married at least 10 years,upon his death-you will be entitled to 1/2 of hie SS,in addition to your disablity.

Kathy

Divorce Editor of 4militaryfamilies.com

If they were divorced she would have to had been married to him at least 10 years.  But they are still married.  She should still get his SS upon his death, should she not?

" A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'"

He divorced when he was still married to his first wife.  You were not married to him at any time when he was in the military.  And you have a problem with her getting some money from him?  You want to be taken care of.  I bet she would like to be taken care of too.  I bet she was there for him while he was in the military.  Maybe you could go in and look at the forms they signed together when they were a happy couple, would that make you feel better?

As stated before they most have been married for 10 yr plus that's why she gets that allotment from his retirement and her checks will no doudt still come to her if and when he passes. Since you came after his military life you would get his SS....you can call the SSI office and give them your DH's SSN and they can tell you want you would get if he passes. It's important to know what is going on and what you will be left with....Please speak to your DH and make sure as many of the bills will be paid off and make sure he has updated all of his life insurances paperwork and has removed the 1st. wife. But do try to enjoy this time with him.....

My husband retired from the Army when he was still married to his first wife.  I understand about the allotment she currently receives.  My husband tells me that his retirement pay will cease upon his death.  Since we are both up in age (almost 60), and his health is not good, I have to be concerned about my future, should he pass before me.  I am already on Social Security Disability, but it's not enough to even support myself.  Can I find out if he actually set it up this way, or if there is something that can be changed to offer me some security?

Yes-you can review the terms of his Divorce Papers,and Miitary Pension Divison order. This should be a very big concern. I would recommend asking a financial planner to review your estate provisions,and look at options. Is the house in both your names? Is it insured upon one of your deaths to be fully paid off? How much heath insurance does he carry? You can go through AARP and look for smaller ones,like $50,000. and find some very affordable ones. If you have been married at least 10 years,upon his death-you will be entitled to 1/2 of hie SS,in addition to your disablity.

Kathy

Divorce Editor of 4militaryfamilies.com

He's correct. The retirement is his, not both of yours. It will end in the event of his death. Does he have life insurance? Also when he retired, did he sign up for that plan with the military where in the event that he dies, you get a portion of his retirement pay. For the life of me I've drawn a blank on what it's called.

Also in the event he dies, you can then get his social security which is usually higher than what you get.

Proud AF wife to Mark, AF Mom to Allen, Mom to Angie and Grandma to Lillee and Landree

If he told you that his retirement pay will cease at his death, you will need to accept that. My thought is that it cannot be changed at this point because the payments to his ex wife are part of the determination of what he receives now.  Kathy offered you some excellent advice. 

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level,then beat you with experience.

ClaudiaJoy wrote:

I am not sure if you guys heard this or not but there was an article in the Army Times suggesting that there is some push to have benefits for the former spouse terminated upon remarriage!

“Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same.” Emily Bronte
If you mean on the remarriage of the former military member, I think that would be wrong. The former spouse has earned those benefits, and they should not be taken away.

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level,then beat you with experience.

If the 1st spouse remarries (not the military member) then her benefits cease.  The benefit is entitled to unmarried divorced spouses.  Definitely contact finance and get all his papers and review them, make sure the 1st wife isn't listed as any other beneficiary.

I believe it can be split between the two of you at least.

PhotobucketTime waits for no one. Treasure every moment you have. You will treasure it even more when you can share it with someone special. To realize the value of a friend...lose one.

Q: Dear Sally: I was dumped over a promotion!

A: Dear Sally, My friend dumped me because my husband was promoted and hers was not, how do I deal with this? -- Rank Ruined Friendship Dear Rank... Read more.

Q: Nervous about Nookie after Deployment?

A: My husband comes home from his first deployment soon. We have only been married a little over a year and he has been deployed most of that time.... Read more.

Q: Worried about OPSEC?

A: My husband is deployed and they are scheduled to be coming home soon. I keep seeing other spouses in the unit posting stuff like dates and locatio... Read more.

Q: Are You Slowly Going Insane in Base Housing?

A: I know lots of people who hate base housing, but I really like living on base. Well, I did until my new neighbors moved in... they are driving me... Read more.

Q: Should we consider geo-baching?

A: At what point should we let our kids have a say in whether or not we accompany their dad on his next PCS? Our children, ages 15 and 17, have really... Read more.

• Follow us
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Pinterest
  • Google +