Gigya Leaderboard

Describe your MIL in 5 Words

Compassionate, charitable, loving, friendly, and helpful.

U.S.Army, Troy, MI

I married into a great family.  My MIL devotes all her spare time to raise money for the American Cancer Society, she is a very active member and the chapter president of the chapter that she is apart of.  Both my husbands family and my family have been hit hard by cancer, some family members have passed and others are still fighting for their lives.  When ever she is not spending all of her time devoted to the American Cancer Society, she is doing things for others such as making her grandchildren beautiful clothes, or sewing items to sell for charity.  My MIL is a very selfless women.

save the date save the date

lazy, cold-hearted, self-absorbed, controlling, manipulative

Remember to always trust in God! I love SPC. Brewer!! And love can stretch across the ocean!!

Judgemental, hypocritical, annoying, overbearing, manipulative

USN, San Diego

Narcissistic, Abusive, Addict, Lazy and Fake

U.S. Army Reserves, Worcester MA

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Meh! U.S. Marine Corps, Washington D.C.
Miracles don't happen by chance, they happen with faith

Greedy, money-hungry, meddling, wicked-witch of the east, overbearing.

US ARMY, FORT RILEY, KS

[URL=http://www.avatarist.com]Avatars[/URL]

OMG your MIL sounds sooooo much like mine. My MIL used to take $850 out of my hubby's account for money he "owed" her*come to find out he was supporting her retail therapy*

[URL=http://www.avatarist.com]Avatars[/URL]

that is definately unfortunate, and I am sorry for your loss. I can see how it might be frustrating to hear negative things about MILs when you don't have one. BUT, I must add that we fall in love with our soldier, not his mom. And most of us handle their presence with poise, even if they are a complete bother to be around. I can't stand my MIL due to the fact she is beyond selfish to her whole family and ruined my husband's childhood. She is always butting in our relationship, trying to Dr. Phil us on what's best - when she is on her 3rd marriage, based on $. So yes I did say negative things about my MIL and yes I do feel you are correct, but some of us aren't even given an opportunity to make it right with our MILs. Be thankful for the great time you did have with your MIL and remember her for her positives, because I can't say the same for my MIL.... and it's sad.

A cake's no good if you don't take the batter and bake it and love's just a bubble if you don't take the trouble to make it -Johnny Cash & June Carter Cash

Unfortunately in my life forever.

There is no words to describe this lady. She thinks I'm a deadbeat since I'm a student but I ALSO have a job at the hospital. She thinks it's the same to have a son deployed as a husband deployed, although she'll never send care packages to him and call to see how I'm doing and she'll ask you a question like she cares about your life, then cut you off cause she doesn't care and tell you that. She expects us to pay for everything like she's our child and she has no emotion. She's on her 3rd marriage for the $. Tons of fun to be around! Army, Fort Riley, KS

A cake's no good if you don't take the batter and bake it and love's just a bubble if you don't take the trouble to make it -Johnny Cash & June Carter Cash

Opinionated, strong, cheap (in a good way), loving, and loud.

Army National Guard, no current duty station (he's in the ROTC program at Indiana University)

my MIL is=

Sweet, Loving, Kind-Hearted, Generous & very missed (she lives far away)

<3 u g-ma Rita!

Kind Hearted, Funny, Supportive, Generous, Helpful, Friendly, Beautiful..... I have way more than five compliments for this woman and no complaints lol

From Apple Valley Ca. Us Army

I have the very good luck to have married into a wonderful family I love them all: both sis in laws and mil and fil and even the extended family I have met there are lots of them. I love them all. They are so sweet.

annoying, clingy, possessive, hates me.  US Army, Fort Wainwright, AK

Appreciative, encouraging, admirable, lovely, faithful 

United States Air Force, MacDill Air Force Base

I love my mother-in-law and I am so thankful to her for helping to create such a wonderful man that has made such an amazing husband.  

Marie from Everybody Loves Raymond!!!

When my husband and I were first married and moved into our first apartment, my MIL built me a cleaning kit, and then proceeded to show me how to use it! I was not impressed..............

Hypocritical, manipulative, misguided, caring, and  lonely.    She is an interesting mix that I try to appreciate, but have a really hard time with.  Active duty Army, Tripler Army Medical Center.

Patient, Warm, Loving, Generous, Beautiful.

I am super super lucky. ARMY, Fort Myer, Arlington, Virginia

Strong, opinionated, loyal, fair and friend.

passive aggressive, narcissistic, greedy, cruel, mean

U.S. Navy NSWC Dahlgren, Va

Secretive, misleading, judgmental, manipulative, and hurtful

Bipolar, manipulative, mean, abusive, immature.

Out of our lives for good... 

Navy, NWS Charleston

She kicked my husband out if the house because he stopped paying their overdue bills when we we're dating, stabbed him with safe pins when he wanted to get a tattoo, chewed him out for spending $3000 on a car because his truck had a gas leak that no one could find, and among other things- disowned him for joining the navy... So, he said "enough" and hasn't talked to her or his dad in over a year. 

Oh yea, she also beat him with her purse when he was a kid because he accidentally broke the vacuum... I'm glad she's out of our life... 

loving, intelligent, beautiful, patient and eternal optimist.

loyal, dramatic, kind, loving, hoarder

USMC Quantico, VA

crazy, thoughtless, selfish, annoying, set in her ways. But having the most amazing father in law EVER makes up for it! 

Maxwell-Gunter afb, Al  USAF

lonely.bitter.possessive.loud.mean.   US Navy, Fort Meade, MD 

For an upcoming article on mother-in-law drama, we're looking for spouses' responses to

"Describe your mother-in-law in 5 words"

Please respond ONLY if it's okay to use your five words in the article and  include your branch of service and duty station. No names will be used (we don't want to fan the flames!)

Thanks!

Heidi Smith Luedtke

Writer for Military Spouse Magazine

I'm a psychologist turned freelance writer who lives on Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst with my Air Force hubby and two kiddos. I blog at www.LeadingMama.com

Thanks. Anyone else want to share?

Heidi

I'm a psychologist turned freelance writer who lives on Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst with my Air Force hubby and two kiddos. I blog at www.LeadingMama.com

Ugh, sounds AWFUL. MILs who don't have their own lives (or who've messed up their own lives so badly that they need to be taken care of) are especially troublesome for the DIL (and her husband). I expect to take care of his mom and my parents, but not until they are old. You know? Before that, they should be able to handle their own drama like GROWN UPS.

Passive Agressive, Mean, Rude, Selfish, Stubborn
Army, Fort Carson, Colorado

More than anything

Matriarchal, Humble, Nurturing, Stylish, Engaging...I love my MIL!  No drama here.  My husband is the only son with four sisters.

United States Air Force, Mountain Home AFB, Idaho

Insensitive, rude, selfish, two faced, uses what you say against you (couldnt think of a word for that lol!)

Us army reserves. Ogden, ut

Kind, funny, thoughtful, great cook! US Army, JBMHH, VA
*Cheerfulness, it would appear, is a matter which depends fully as much on the state of things within, as on the state of things without and around us.-Charlotte Bronte*

Passive-aggressive, emotionally-abusive, over-controlling, sabotaging, manipulative...

sorry, but 5 basic words just couldn't describe the "Devil-In-Law" who has put my past 17 years of marriage through pure Hell!

Bullheaded, headstrong, stubborn, complaisant, naive, and my husband and his mom don't have a "real" relationship. They stand eachother for family-party-purposes, but then return to "real life" when the party is done- like they are playing the part for a play and after it's over the "actors" move on with their lives.

- Army National Guard; Rochester, New York

Supportive, Caring, Non-intrusive, friendly, funny

Understanding, generous, fair, humorous, sweet.

USMC, Quantico, VA

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
-Eleanor Roosevelt

Loving, trustworthy, insightful, generous, intelligent

Loving, trustworthy, insightful, generous, intelligent

Army, Baumholder, Germany

Passed away much too soon =(

U.S. Air Force, Nellis AFB, NV

My MIL suddenly passed away from lung cancer 3 months before my husband and I got married. It happened so fast- she died only a month after she was diagnosed. I've known my husband (and his family) for 13 years now. My MIL and I didn't always see eye to eye, but I knew she loved me and she was glad her son and I were getting married.

I know most people have major drama with their MIL, but I'm really sad mine's not around...especially since my husband and I are now trying to have kids. My husband's an only child, and she never got to meet her grandkids. She won't be able to pass on her wisdom about being a mom, little tips and tricks for raising kids, etc. I know it's hard, but I really wish people would try to focus on the positives of having a MIL every once in awhile

Marine corps mcas new river. 

Clingy, possessive, codependent, judgemental, obsessed

When I say, "I love you," it's not because I want you or because I can't have you. It has nothing to do with me. I love what you are, what you do, how you try. I've seen your kindness and your strength. I've seen the best and the worst of you. And I understand with perfect clarity exactly what you are.

Mil messedup her Los much, that she ran away from it, and followed us to nc. She is over bearing, ad a complete bit(# The woman has no sense of budgeting, or self control. And she makes just over 25 bucks an hour. And couldn't afford to help with any fees involved with the move. She stores her things in our garage, does help with groceries, didn't help with the hotel cost, nothing. And then she is claiming 2 out of 3 of our kids on taxes bc she had them at her house for 9 months before my hubby and I got married. I hate cleaning up other peoples messes!!!! Especially an almost 60 year old woman who can't even put a cup in the sink, or shut the front door!!!!!

When I say, "I love you," it's not because I want you or because I can't have you. It has nothing to do with me. I love what you are, what you do, how you try. I've seen your kindness and your strength. I've seen the best and the worst of you. And I understand with perfect clarity exactly what you are.

Q: Dear Sally: I was dumped over a promotion!

A: Dear Sally, My friend dumped me because my husband was promoted and hers was not, how do I deal with this? -- Rank Ruined Friendship Dear Rank... Read more.

Q: Nervous about Nookie after Deployment?

A: My husband comes home from his first deployment soon. We have only been married a little over a year and he has been deployed most of that time.... Read more.

Q: Worried about OPSEC?

A: My husband is deployed and they are scheduled to be coming home soon. I keep seeing other spouses in the unit posting stuff like dates and locatio... Read more.

Q: Are You Slowly Going Insane in Base Housing?

A: I know lots of people who hate base housing, but I really like living on base. Well, I did until my new neighbors moved in... they are driving me... Read more.

Q: Should we consider geo-baching?

A: At what point should we let our kids have a say in whether or not we accompany their dad on his next PCS? Our children, ages 15 and 17, have really... Read more.

• Follow us
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Pinterest
  • Google +