Gigya Leaderboard

Naples, Italy

This is for anyone who is PCSing into Naples, Italy (either for Navy or with a NATO assignment). I have been here almost 3 years now and its by far the worst base ever.

1, US Naval Support Site - this is where base apartments (not housing, only officers have housing, and there isn't much) are located. Plus the schools, exchange, commissary, hospital & etc.. as well. This area is of course of Camorra land (Italian mafia owned by the Coppola family). So by contracts, there is ALOT of Italians working here on base doing practically every job you can think of. FFSS, there really is no support for toddler age groups. The school system here is very mediocre and daycare services are hard to come by. The apartments are small with a lot of issues.

Oh, and its one of the few (or the only base) that allows NATO card holders to shop at the NEX and commissary (so they pretty much buy everything because its cheap for them, so the shelves are always bare or rarely stock things Americans would like, its all for the taste of the Italian consumer). Also Italians workers who are not dependents or NATO can sign their family on base while they work and are suppose to leave the base when they are done, but they never do. (so this past Halloween, there were a whole bunch of Italians trick or treating when they weren't even suppose to be on base at that time).

2. Capodochino - this is where your legal offices, colleges, single sailor barracks (some), HR, another small exchanges (the only place as of now to get Navy uniform supplies) and etc... its about 20-40 mins away from the Support Site (depending on traffic). Its also next to the Naples Airport and this is where you catch your MAC flights as well.

3. JFC- Bagnoli - this is where the current NATO base is located.

4. JFC - Lago Patria - when they complete this, this is where the new NATO base will be located.

5. Italians - Basically they run the base. They are the supervisors at the NEX, commissary, they are the ones fixing your apartments, checking the oil on your car, giving you car registrations, taking your appointments at the clinics, they are everywhere. Their work ethics is basically non-existent. I work with several of them at the NEX and they brag about how the Americans need the Italians to make the base run. They are always on breaks and its quite frustrating.They are always on strike. They drive with no regards to the rules (I don't think they have rules) nor follow the lanes. Not all Italians are rude, but they already have preconcived ideas about Americans. They love babies and don't really know the meaning of "personal space". Oh and they don't have deoderant so they tend to smell.

6. Theft - Naples is a high crime rate area. Aside from the Italian mafia that have their own wars, high unemployment rate, desire of techonological goods, gas coupons make Americans high target for car/house theft.

7. Health Issues - Many Americans family had to move on base or find alternate housing because of toxic levels in the water and soils. Sulfur is in the air due to Mt Versuvius and trash/trash burning is a big problem here.

8. Living off base- We lived off base and it cost us an arm and leg to keep the houses warm during the winter and cool during the summer. The houses are all concrete with no insulation, and mold is a huge problem.

9. Spousal preference for jobs - yeah I don't think that exists.....basically its working at the NEX, commissary, bank (if they are hiring), CDC and sometimes MWR....all the other jobs seems to go to the Italians first (not sure why) or if you know someone at HR. But the NEX right now is basically Americans vs Italians, with the Italians winning. Very sad.

Basically this is not a family friendly base. There is so many issues and so many headaches. Euro-Dollar conversion makes traveling expensive or cost of living high.

If you have any other places other than Naples, go for that, this is just a hell hole! If you're single, you can probably tolerate it, but with family, its just miserable!

The only good thing other than all the great pizza (Naples, home of pizza) are you get a chance to meet some great wives from different countries who are miltary spouses as well. I kept an open view about the place, but just seeing the corruption with my own eyes has made me weary of the place. Granted the rest of Italy, very beautiful. The other Italians looks down upon Naples as the ghetto of Italy. Its a shame because Naples has great beauty but its hidden under trash and crime. Many wish the base will get relocated up to Gaeta and leave Naples. But my family and I have had enough of this place. We made some good friends who are Italians but as a whole, there is just so much animosity that this base is not functioning. What is suppose to be the support system of the American miltary family is more like support system for the Italians who work there take advantage that if the Navy does decide to pull this base, will realize how much they rely on the Americans for their jobs (not us relying on them as they proudly boast, like my boss at work. Oh and we've complained to upper management, HR, whistle blowed....nobody does anything here...complaint agaisnt the Italians mysteriously disapper). We all think after what happened to the former director of the Commissary (he fired Italians who were stealing and ended up having his house windows blown up), I think people are afraid to do what is right in fear of Camorra retaliation or something.

So if you are coming here, make sure you ask your sponsor millions of questions......and we that are prepared to leave here all hope that those who come after us will have a far better experience that we did.

The only good thing other than all the great pizza (Naples, home of pizza) are you get a chance to meet some great wives from different countries who are miltary spouses as well. I kept an open view about the place, but just seeing the corruption with my own eyes has made me weary of the place. Granted the rest of Italy, very beautiful. The other Italians looks down upon Naples as the ghetto of Italy. Its a shame because Naples has great beauty but its hidden under trash and crime. Many wish the base will get relocated up to Gaeta and leave Naples. But my family and I have had enough of this place. We made some good friends who are Italians but as a whole, there is just so much animosity that this base is not functioning. What is suppose to be the support system of the American miltary family is more like support system for the Italians who work there take advantage that if the Navy does decide to pull this base, will realize how much they rely on the Americans for their jobs (not us relying on them as they proudly boast, like my boss at work. Oh and we've complained to upper management, HR, whistle blowed....nobody does anything here...complaint agaisnt the Italians mysteriously disapper). We all think after what happened to the former director of the Commissary (he fired Italians who were stealing and ended up having his house windows blown up), I think people are afraid to do what is right in fear of Camorra retaliation or something.

You poor thing! You are so right and I didn't even live there, I visited my best friend while her hubby was stationed in Naples for 3 years. Even to this day I tell people it was "the armpit of Europe" It's dirty, people are rude. The only great thing was being close to some great sights...Rome, capri, the coast etc. I'm sure it's worse now then it was ten years ago. Europians hate us even more now!!

Hi, my name is Nicoletta and i'm italian, from Sicily. i'm italian but i agree with everything you said. 20 minutes from my city, Catania, there is a Naval base, Sigonella, well the place and everything is MUCH MUCH better that Naples, but i hate the italian that work at the base, is true they think they are the boss, a few are good, but most of them are horrible!!! Naples is a horrible city, well the city could be beatiful if the people that live there would care about, there is a lot of crime and the city is dirty, the only good thing is the food. i feel bad for you, i'm italian but i would never go station in Naples. If you can go visit other place in Italy becouse is not all like Naples, and Italy is a beautiful country for history we have so much stuff, and the food is the best!!!

We have been stationed in Naples (NATO) for the past year. I can agree with most of what you have said. This place is disgustingly dirty. The only good thing about living here is the traveling that we get to do. We try and get out of here as much as we can. But the exchange rate does make it expensive. I do disagree somewhat on the Spouse preference issue. I was able to get a job on post right away. After three months of being here. But then again I have seen some corruption with it being all about "who you know". Some jobs on the post are not allowed to be given to Italians. But the US hires don't seem to want to go home after their three years are up and keep extending and moving from job to job. And they are American so that is one of my complaints about the jobs here. The crime is awful. I have never seen a place where I have to take off all my jewelry just to walk downtown. And the driving unless you have been here you just wouldn't understand. The insurance rates are a killer and it's because they know you will be in repeated accidents or have your car stolen while here. My husband and I were ready to leave two months after getting here. The Support Site wouldn't let us live on post because we have a dog. At the time they didn't allow dogs on post. So we were forced to live in town. We got very lucky with the landlord we got. Can't wait to get back to the States and be stationed with the Army again. The Navy just needs to shut this place down. There is no need for it. 

Q: Nervous about Nookie after Deployment?

A: My husband comes home from his first deployment soon. We have only been married a little over a year and he has been deployed most of that time.... Read more.

Q: Worried about OPSEC?

A: My husband is deployed and they are scheduled to be coming home soon. I keep seeing other spouses in the unit posting stuff like dates and locatio... Read more.

Q: Are You Slowly Going Insane in Base Housing?

A: I know lots of people who hate base housing, but I really like living on base. Well, I did until my new neighbors moved in... they are driving me... Read more.

Q: Should we consider geo-baching?

A: At what point should we let our kids have a say in whether or not we accompany their dad on his next PCS? Our children, ages 15 and 17, have really... Read more.

Q: Dear Sally: I was dumped over a promotion!

A: Dear Sally, My friend dumped me because my husband was promoted and hers was not, how do I deal with this? -- Rank Ruined Friendship Dear Rank Ru... Read more.

• Follow us
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Pinterest
  • Google +