Gigya Leaderboard

Maxwell/Gunner AFB, Alabama

Does anyone have any information on these bases? were PCSing there in December when DH comes home from Korea.  Housing, schools, ect. 

thanks! 

I am glad to hear that the middle school for Gunner is good, we would like to live on Gunner since my hubby's shop is located on that base.  I am excited about there being a DOD school on Maxwell, I love DoD schools ( since i grew up in them) and that there is lots to do in the area.  I am from North Alabama and have never been to Montgomery other then driving through.  

Thank you so much! 

lol i will!  thanks, it would be nice to get a house right of the bat, hubbys been talking about buying a house in Prattville but I want to be there to look in person and not rush into anything like we did when we got here. 

the kids and I have been at Barksdale for 7 years and  hubby 's been here for 8 and been in for 9 so he is really ready to get out of here and see something new.  we're are ya'll PCSing to?  

thanks for all your help! 

we got a house on Gunter! I am so excited, the housing office called me a few weeks ago to let me know  It is such a relief to know that we will have a place to live as soon as we get there. one less thing for me to worry about!  December needs to hurry up and get here, i am so ready to get off of this base! .  

orange4cab wrote:

We live on Gunter right now! There are a handful of houses just sitting empty, so maybe you might get lucky. We live in one of the remodeled ones. Not bad. We will be here for 3 more years, so you can look me up when you get here!

okay one silly question for you, do they have actual laundry rooms in the houses there or are they just stuck in the halllway or kitchen?  i know it may seem silly but I love my laundry room that we have now! lol  also are the houses one story or two? or do they have a mixture of both?   i tried looking at the floor plans that the housing office has on their website and for some reason they won't come up. 

thanks! I finally got the housing website to work and saw the floor plans for Gunter which is the base were hoping to get a house on.  I think I have decided that I take a one story house over a laundry room anyday! lol  they should just put laundry rooms on the second floor of a two story house anyway! lol  what are the floors like? i saw some of them have hardwood, which would be way better then this nasty government floor ( tile) that we have now, why would anyone put white tile down, ugg it sucks!!! 

I am getting so excited about moving, I have around 60days till my hubby comes home and he wants to move ASAP after he gets home! my oldest daughter ( 12) has already asked to start packing and my youngest two daughters ( 4 and 6) ask me every night "are we moving tomorrow?" lol they are all so excited! thank goodness the baby can't talk or I am sure he'd be talking about moving too! 

thanks for answering all my silly questions! 

Once again flooring depends on the housing area you are in, but there are not many that have hard wood.  Most have tile and carpeting.  Most of the homes are Gunter are pretty new homes or have been recently remodeled.  They are actually really nice houses.  

I know exactly what you mean about being excited. We are PCSing in December as well and I can't wait.  We have been here at Maxwell for almost 6 years and are so ready to move onto a new chapter and adventure.  If you have any more questions, please ask and don't worry about them being "silly".  I have asked the same questions about my new base as well and completely understand where you are coming from/WorkArea/threadeddisc/emoticons/happy.png

~Jamie:-) <3 Military life!

Depends on what base you are on and what housing you are in.  On Gunter the laundry room is a closet in the hallway.  In some house on Maxwell it is the same way, but if you are in one of the older two story homes or older bungalow type homes on Maxwell, the laundry room is in the basement. The row housing on Maxwell has the laundry room in a closet in the hallway as well.  hope this helps!

We currently live on Maxwell and previously lived on Gunter.  The bases are actually really nice...it is the town that makes me so happy to be PCSing in December.  If you have children who are in grades pre-K-6th, there is a DOD school on Maxwell and they bus children from Gunter.  The school is excellent and we love all the teachers.  If you have older children, I would suggest looking into one of the magnet schools or private schools in the area.  The public schools in the area are not very good. There are a couple exceptions to that rule...Goodwyn Junior High (7th and 8th grades), is a decent school.  My daughter attends Goodwyn and she loves it.  However, if you live on Maxwell you will have to get a waiver from the school board for your child to attend Goodwyn.  Gunter is zoned for Goodwyn.  There is also Lee High School which is excellent, although I am not sure the zoning for that school.

There are a lot of things to do....great restaurants, great shopping, an excellent movie theater.  Montgomery is about 1 1/2 hours away from Birmingham, 2 hours away from Atlanta, GA, about 3 hours away from Florida and the Mississippi coast.  Maxwell actually has a recreation area with cabins and RV spaces in Niceville, FL which is right across the bridge from Destin (which has some awesome beaches).  The Montgomery Zoo is great and has a wilderness museum attached to it.  My children have always loved going there.  There is a wonderful youth center on Maxwell, as well as Gunter, and they do a lot with the kids.  Field trips around base to different offices, a trip to an amusement park, trips to the base pool during the summer, and a ton of athletic teams and classes.  

Maxwell is actually located on the Alabama River so there are many things you can do outdoors.  The downtown area has just been revitalized and there is an ampitheatre where they do concerts and fireworks on the 4th of July.  There is a riverboat that you can take down the river, the Montgomery Biscuits stadium is only a mile away and when they shoot fireworks you can hear and see them from your backyard if you live on Maxwell.  There are several  civil rights museums and other museums such as the Hank Williams Museum, the state capital, Old Alabama Town is a must do while you live in the area.  And the newly built Renaissance Hotel and Montgomery Performing Arts Center (MPAC)is located downtown as well.  The MPAC always has a concert or performance of some kind scheduled, as well as hosting a range of outdoorsmen expos.

Housing on base has been privatized for a couple of years now and the housing is nice.  There are some historical homes on base that have been fixed up and are really nice.  We currently live in a 2 story home with 3 BD, 2 BA, basement, garage.  The housing on Gunter has been remodeled recently and is wonderful.  The bedrooms in the homes are kinda small, but not extremely small.  That is all I can think of off the top of my head, but if you have any more questions, please feel free to ask me.

Where can I find the floor plans for housing at Maxell? What sizes are the house, layout etc? We are set to move there in the summer (2013). We will be permenant party. We have been in Colorado Springs over 7yrs so I hope I remember how to PCS! Looking forward to Maxwell and being back home in the south after being in the midwest for so long!

Thanks!

Quoted

thanks! I finally got the housing website to work and saw the floor plans for Gunter which is the base were hoping to get a house on.  I think I have decided that I take a one story house over a laundry room anyday! lol  they should just put laundry rooms on the second floor of a two story house anyway! lol  what are the floors like? i saw some of them have hardwood, which would be way better then this nasty government floor ( tile) that we have now, why would anyone put white tile down, ugg it sucks!!! 

I am getting so excited about moving, I have around 60days till my hubby comes home and he wants to move ASAP after he gets home! my oldest daughter ( 12) has already asked to start packing and my youngest two daughters ( 4 and 6) ask me every night "are we moving tomorrow?" lol they are all so excited! thank goodness the baby can't talk or I am sure he'd be talking about moving too! 

thanks for answering all my silly questions! 

We live on Gunter right now! There are a handful of houses just sitting empty, so maybe you might get lucky. We live in one of the remodeled ones. Not bad. We will be here for 3 more years, so you can look me up when you get here!

Welcome to the 'Gump......If your set on being in base housing, Gunter is the place to be....If you are also considering off base, there are good schools in Prattville and Millbrook and only about 10 minutes from Maxwell.....I have been in Prattville for 4 yrs and I have been extremely happy about the schools; that was one of the first things that I considered when moving here......I'm guessing that your DH is going to ELSG, er it has been redesignated to AFPOE....hope that I get to meet you when you come here .....

A shout out JamieH.....you described it well....I saw Paul when I was at the shoppette today.....glad to see ur hubby is home

I am from Montgomery and Dalraida Elementary School has been remodeled. I went there when I was a kid and have such fond memories there. I also went to Goodwyn and Lee but I know a lot of ppl either homeschool or get their kids into private schools. I loved Goodwyn and Lee but I know things have changed since then. I really hope you enjoy your visit there just make sure to lock your car doors, you house because there is a lot of crime in Montgomery. Area in Maxwell has it the worst since it is located downtown. However, there are so many new things that have opened up downtown. When I went to visit last year I was so happy to see how downtown has changed, it is great! I have no idea if you are there or not but Roll Tide Roll!!!

Q: Dear Sally: I was dumped over a promotion!

A: Dear Sally, My friend dumped me because my husband was promoted and hers was not, how do I deal with this? -- Rank Ruined Friendship Dear Rank... Read more.

Q: Nervous about Nookie after Deployment?

A: My husband comes home from his first deployment soon. We have only been married a little over a year and he has been deployed most of that time.... Read more.

Q: Worried about OPSEC?

A: My husband is deployed and they are scheduled to be coming home soon. I keep seeing other spouses in the unit posting stuff like dates and locatio... Read more.

Q: Are You Slowly Going Insane in Base Housing?

A: I know lots of people who hate base housing, but I really like living on base. Well, I did until my new neighbors moved in... they are driving me... Read more.

Q: Should we consider geo-baching?

A: At what point should we let our kids have a say in whether or not we accompany their dad on his next PCS? Our children, ages 15 and 17, have really... Read more.

• Follow us
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Pinterest
  • Google +