Gigya Leaderboard

Fort Belvoir/ Fort Lee

We've been stationed at APG twice, once to Ft. Lee and currently have been at Ft. Belvoir for the last 2.5 yrs.  Every military installation has its good and bad points.  Many have been mentioned by previous replies.  While there aren't a lot of "things" to do on Ft. Lee, you are close to Williamsburg, Busch Gardens/Water Country USA.  The post sits next to the Petersburg National Battlefield and is great for walking, hiking etc.    APG is near Baltimore with the its Inner Harbor, and within easy reach of Philadelphia, Hershey Park, and Delaware for shopping (no state tax).  It's also closest to NYC for a weekend getaway.  And if you like the water...APG sits on the Chesapeake Bay...can't tell you the endless days and nights we spent in our little putt-putt boat taking the kids out to Spesutie Island to play in the sand!  Ft. Belvoir has too many to mention places to go and see, many at no charge for all ages.  The drawback to Belvoir is it is experiencing incredibly growth as a result of BRAC.  Construction projects are many and transportation nightmares both on and off post are a real downside to living in the area.  DC traffic is horrific, but if you can use Metrorail some of it can be avoided.  Cost of living is expensive especially in the areas with the best schools.  Like I said....good and bad no matter where you are.  You might want to see if each post has a Facebook page (Belvoir does) and visit their site.  Sometimes reading the comments can give you a "feel" for each post and help you decide.

Both are great posts!!! However Fort Lee is in the middle of a small town, nothing really going on. Fort Belvoir, on the other hand, is in Northern Virginia, very close to Washigton DC. Lots going on!! If I were you, I'd chose Belvoir! Aberdeen? It's the worst post ever!!! There's not much military (wise) going there. The commisary is very small and has nothing. The srvices are bad and there are more "civil" peopel that military working there...And it is in the middle of nowhere!

Fort Belvoir over Fort Lee or Aberdeen.  Aberdeen is near Baltimore and a pit hole (from what i've heard).  Belvoir is closest to DC and offers many more things for your family.

"If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me" ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

James Schmidt wrote:

We have been stationed here on Aberdeen Proving Grounds for 6 years now and for the soldier it is great as they offer great training and job experiences but on the family side it is terrible as it is a civilian base there is not much for the military family. 

Fort Belvoir is a brass heavy post with many restrictions and everything you do is closely examined. Fort lee is a good station as it is very friendly toward military families and it is getting bigger while it is taking Aberdeens Ordinace schools.

huh? Fort Belvoir isn't a strict base? How strict can it be when anyone can get on it with just a driver's license.  Housing is privatized so there aren't any 'rules' per se, at least not any more than a non-privatized base.  What exactly are you referring to?

"If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me" ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We have lived right next to Ft. Belvoir for 8 years before we PCSd to GA.  We're PCSing back this summer and can't wait. The area is great.  There is so much to do with DC being 40 minutes away on the Metro. Baltimore and the inner harbor are an hour away.  There are beaches within a couple of hours drive.  And the mountains aren't far either. The schools are ranked among the highest in the nation.  Ft. B has some very nice brand new housing on post and a brand new hospital being built.  It is a very busy are and traffic can be a nightmare, but again--Metro and bus system is great if your hubby has to get to the Pentagon or you all just don't want to drive.  There is also a strong OWC and NCOWC group on post, as well as tons of activities for your children.  Plenty of church activities as well.  I think you would enjoy the area quite a bit.  I'd be happy to answer any other questions about the area that you have. 

I currently live in SC and soon to be at Fort Sill but Im from Baltimore so Im pretty familiar with all 3 bases. Like another spouse said every base has its pros and cons. I like Fort Lee and Aberdeen b/c the area itself has alot of opportunities for spouses. Just like any state or any base I would look around to find somewhere to live just dont get the first place you see. I wouldnt live in Aberdeen myself but I use to live about 15 mins from it in Baltimore county and thats not a big distance to commute back on base.. You can be in a great neighborhood with great people.

Mrs. Wallace Army wife

We were stationed at Belvoir for a year and a half and we didn't like it much. Which is why my husband REQUESTED for ft.lewis. Coming from HI, winter was horrible for us. Lost the power for a day and a half with a newborn! Our house got down to 40 degrees! We were all in one room to conserve body heat. Only the shoppette was open, so food necessities were limited. The commissary and PX were VERY small. There's not much to do on base, as there is in Ft. Lewis (currently stationed). I had a friend stationed at Ft. Lee and after one month, he got orders to deploy. I had not heard of that much soldiers deploying out of Belvoir. Area: It's mellow on base, we experienced no problems concerning neighbors. Although, coming from a laid back place (hawaii), everyone on the east coast was always in a rush and so up tight and so rude! Like at the commissary and PX. Well, to my experience. 

DC is close and there's a lot of sight seeing, but it gets old after you've seen everything. 

We have been stationed here on Aberdeen Proving Grounds for 6 years now and for the soldier it is great as they offer great training and job experiences but on the family side it is terrible as it is a civilian base there is not much for the military family. 

Fort Belvoir is a brass heavy post with many restrictions and everything you do is closely examined. Fort lee is a good station as it is very friendly toward military families and it is getting bigger while it is taking Aberdeens Ordinace schools.

I liked Ft Lee, personally. Colonial Heights was a nice little city and there was surprisingly a ton of family stuff to do around post, especially if you make the 30 min drive up to Richmond. Also, DC is only about 2 hours away, so if you want to go visit you can always make a day trip up there. I wouldn’t want to live in near proximity of DC though… It’s crazy busy for me.

We were stationed at Ft Stewart for almost 8 years (and 3 year long deployments!)  so when we say Ft Lee,VA, we were excited.  Guess what?  He is in Afghanistan!  We thought we were coming to a non deployable post, guess again.  This is the worst duty station ever!

Ft. Belvoir is actually a decent sized post. The commissary and PX are smaller than, say, Ft. Benning, but they're still a good sized. I'm used to Ft. Myer, though, which is TINY! However, if you go to Belvoir just be aware that there a lot of infantry guys living there that are stationed at Ft. Myer, and also keep in mind that the new hospital is going to be opened to DoD civilians come September [it was in the news last night], so the traffic is going to get kind of hectic around the area.

(Chants Belvoir like a Jerry Springer crowd)

Go to Belvoir. I live at Lee and it's not all that great. I'd rather be at Belvoir. More going on in the area. It's close to DC. Lee is close to Petersberg, which is close to nothing. I really dislike this area for a plethora of reasons. Aberdeen is also a No-No.

"Never view someone as a priority who views you as an option." -Some wise lady I know

Ok so my husband has been in the Army 12 years. We have been here at Campbell forever same unit same company same plt for like 7-8 years. He re-enlisted for a "take a knee job/ aka Non deployable job". Well he relisted for a certain job he wanted Aberdeen, Maryland and there is a "list" and the job has to be on it. No one can seem to get him or anyone in the unit this list for some odd reason. He is thinking of putting Fort Lee and Fort Belvoir on his wish list.. Has anyone been to these place pros and cons please?

Thanks ladies for the input for sure sending all your comments to my husband.

Aberdeen has his #1 job choice for not deploying testing the equipment. With him being deployed every other year and out training 24/7 when he is home the few take a knee jobs he wanted was rare. Thanks for the info for sure will tell my husband anything I get back. Food for thought for sure. With 2 kids ages almost 5 and end of the year 4 I want the best for them too.

Q: Dear Sally: I was dumped over a promotion!

A: Dear Sally, My friend dumped me because my husband was promoted and hers was not, how do I deal with this? -- Rank Ruined Friendship Dear Rank... Read more.

Q: Nervous about Nookie after Deployment?

A: My husband comes home from his first deployment soon. We have only been married a little over a year and he has been deployed most of that time.... Read more.

Q: Worried about OPSEC?

A: My husband is deployed and they are scheduled to be coming home soon. I keep seeing other spouses in the unit posting stuff like dates and locatio... Read more.

Q: Are You Slowly Going Insane in Base Housing?

A: I know lots of people who hate base housing, but I really like living on base. Well, I did until my new neighbors moved in... they are driving me... Read more.

Q: Should we consider geo-baching?

A: At what point should we let our kids have a say in whether or not we accompany their dad on his next PCS? Our children, ages 15 and 17, have really... Read more.

• Follow us
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Pinterest
  • Google +