Gigya Leaderboard

Newport News,VA - stationed at NWS Yorktown

Hey everyone!

We PCS'd from 29 Palms, CA to Newport News VA about 4 months ago. My husband is stationed at a Navy base, and there is a fairly big Army base a few minutes away. I feel secluded from the Marine Corps since we aren't on a base and the closest one is 45ish minutes away. I have yet to meet a Marine wife here.... I feel like I don't have anything in common with the people I have met so far. Guess I'm just bored and having a hard time adjusting to our new location. Hubby leaves for a few months pretty soon too. Last time we moved, I immersed myself in every function the base had; I can't find ANYthing going on here! lol

Any of you near me?? Any advise?

Yes, I was totally in the "bubble" of base life in CA. Off base, there was only a small town unless you drove an hour plus though. I don't work, but we have 4 kids - the 13, 10, and 6 year olds are in school (obviously) and I have a 2-1/2 year old at home with me. My older 3 are in sports - currently basketball, and we'll be doing soccer next. Between them we have practice 4 nights a week and Saturdays we have 2 or 3 games. So we get out, but the parents don't seem to be interested in making friends. I sound dumb saying that... lol

I just need to find some "activities" or something to do during the day. 

Hey,

I live in Williamsburg but i'm originally from Yorktown.  The lifestyle of living off base in this area is different than actually living on base,(we just pcsed from Macdill AFB and lived on base there)  but actually I think this is with any area.  It is easy to sort of live in that "bubble" of base life because you have everything you need right there.I will tell  if you get out a little, this is a huge military area and you will slowly but surely start to meet people.  Honestly,  I have connections more through my local gym and my kids sports.  It is really a great area to live and there is a lot to do.  If you have any questions or want more infor, please do not hesitate to message me! : )

Lauren

Q: Dear Sally: I was dumped over a promotion!

A: Dear Sally, My friend dumped me because my husband was promoted and hers was not, how do I deal with this? -- Rank Ruined Friendship Dear Rank... Read more.

Q: Nervous about Nookie after Deployment?

A: My husband comes home from his first deployment soon. We have only been married a little over a year and he has been deployed most of that time.... Read more.

Q: Worried about OPSEC?

A: My husband is deployed and they are scheduled to be coming home soon. I keep seeing other spouses in the unit posting stuff like dates and locatio... Read more.

Q: Are You Slowly Going Insane in Base Housing?

A: I know lots of people who hate base housing, but I really like living on base. Well, I did until my new neighbors moved in... they are driving me... Read more.

Q: Should we consider geo-baching?

A: At what point should we let our kids have a say in whether or not we accompany their dad on his next PCS? Our children, ages 15 and 17, have really... Read more.

• Follow us
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Pinterest
  • Google +