Gigya Leaderboard

Just swore into DEP : what does the process look like for me?

Hi!! My husband just swore into the dep program (waiting to hear from the officer boards) and I know he must swear in again before hes shipped; he will then go to school for his job.. 

When do we get our orders? Do I get a mil Id? What about insurance ( we have a 7 month old )? Can I live with him at his tech school? 

What do I do ( besides wait for him ) while he's gone. Do I have to take care of any thing or once we get our orders do things start happening??

Also I forgot to mention he's going into the air force :)

I have tuns of questions about what the wife is supposed to do :) thanks for reading <3 

When he goes to BMT around week 3 or 4 you will get a Form DD1172 in the mail and that is for you to get your Military ID from the closest location to you.  Google/Yahoo RAPIDS and it should give you links.  You need the form and 2 pieces of ID to get it.  Some will require you to make an appointment while others will allow walk ins.   When he goes to BMT he will need to take your marriage certificate, birth certificates (you and children) and your SSN cards (certificates must be original or notarized copies, SSN can be copies) this is to enter you into DEERS.  You are then enrolled into Tricare Standard for medical coverage.  You go to an approved provider in your area, there is a yearly deductible and a co-pay for each visit up to a max.  Once you get your ID card you can change to Prime or Prime Remote where there is no cost but limits on who you can see. 

Orders are given in Tech School. If his Tech School is longer than 20 weeks you can join him at the cost of the military. He will have to report first and then you come later.   Now this is if he is Enlisted not sure how it is done with Officers for schooling.  Anytime in the AF orders must be longer than 20 weeks to be accompanied.  There is a few locations that he can go to which are unaccompanied.  

What you can do while he is gone is just do some organization - not packing.  Get rid of things you don't need, get copies and more copies of documents, back up files/things, make a picture album for him to take with him that is small, etc....

Quoted

Hi!! My husband just swore into the dep program (waiting to hear from the officer boards) and I know he must swear in again before hes shipped; he will then go to school for his job.. 

When do we get our orders? Do I get a mil Id? What about insurance ( we have a 7 month old )? Can I live with him at his tech school? 

What do I do ( besides wait for him ) while he's gone. Do I have to take care of any thing or once we get our orders do things start happening??

Also I forgot to mention he's going into the air force :)

I have tuns of questions about what the wife is supposed to do :) thanks for reading <3 

Q: Dear Sally: I was dumped over a promotion!

A: Dear Sally, My friend dumped me because my husband was promoted and hers was not, how do I deal with this? -- Rank Ruined Friendship Dear Rank... Read more.

Q: Nervous about Nookie after Deployment?

A: My husband comes home from his first deployment soon. We have only been married a little over a year and he has been deployed most of that time.... Read more.

Q: Worried about OPSEC?

A: My husband is deployed and they are scheduled to be coming home soon. I keep seeing other spouses in the unit posting stuff like dates and locatio... Read more.

Q: Are You Slowly Going Insane in Base Housing?

A: I know lots of people who hate base housing, but I really like living on base. Well, I did until my new neighbors moved in... they are driving me... Read more.

Q: Should we consider geo-baching?

A: At what point should we let our kids have a say in whether or not we accompany their dad on his next PCS? Our children, ages 15 and 17, have really... Read more.

• Follow us
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Pinterest
  • Google +