Gigya Leaderboard

Moving to Florida...TERRIFIED of what to expect!!

I've been scanning the news online in the Mayport/Jacksonville area and I'm terrified beyond belief of living there with our kids! I've never been to the area, so what's on the news is all I have to go buy to get a glimpse of what it may be like!  We leave next month and the closer the date, the more anxious I feel about living there with our 2 boys...knowing there will be deployment periods where my husband won't be there to "protect" us! I have a feeling I may be over reacting...but if anyone happens to come across this, and they've been stationed at JAX/NS Mayport...how is it?? am i freaking out over nothing?? 

Disclaimer: Never actually lived there, but I have visited, and I have friends who were stationed there. My first bit of advice is relax. Are you planning to live on base? It's a beautiful area with the ocean so close by. That's a big positive! In regards to crime, and your anticipating your husband deploying, there's always a chance of something happening no matter where you live. These things are random. If you want to protect yourself and your children, consider a security system (ADT is good and a lot of home insurance companies give a discount which ends up nearly covering the monthly charge), a dog, or even a gun (just make sure you take the appropriate classes if you are not familiar with guns). Another nice thing about Jacksonville is that the cost of living is one of the least expensive in the country. I'd suggest finding a page military wives page on Facebook from that area. It would give you more information on what to expect. Just search FB for something along the lines of "Jacksonsville (insert branch) wives"

Good luck! 

As a person who is studying this area (criminology/sociology) what you see in the news is NOT what is necessarily going on at all.  They make it sound like there is huge crime waves, horrible robberies, etc... Yes it happens but when you look at the population of that city and the area that it covers (largest city span area in the US I believe) then you have to calm down.   Here is an example for a study I did, there was crime report about a set of robberies in a town, they were telling people to be careful, take their car registration out because these guys were breaking into their cars, taking the registration while they were at the movies, then going to the house that robbed it.  They made it sound like it was happening all over the place.  it wasn't, FOUR times in a few weeks and that is in a city of over 4 million people.  STOP listening to the news, DON"T panic.

Mayport, been there. Go into on base housing, it is decent, the elementary school backs right onto it and the teachers there are decent. The middle school is up the street not too far away.  The beach is right there as well, lots of playgrounds, it is safe.  The commissary & exchange are about 10 minutes up the road but you do have the gyms, pool, lodging, mini mart, McD's, gas station and everything right there.  It is quiet especially at night which is nice.  There is no fenced backyards.  The older housing is all one level duplexes with a carport.  Officer and Sr Enlisted is newer individual houses closer to the beach.  There is the air show they have each year usually 1 year in Jax Beach, the next year at NAS Jax, I believe this year it will be at Jax Beach. DON"T go to the beach, instead stay on Mayport because all the planes leave from there which is even cooler.  You can stand at the airfield and watch them take off and land.  The beach is nice, lifeguards are there, you can also do fishing. Right next to it is a city or state park can't remember which, so it is again really quiet.  Atlantic Beach is where you can go to Publix, etc.. Not too far away are Super Target, Super WalMart, Movie Theaters, etc.. 

Quoted

I've been scanning the news online in the Mayport/Jacksonville area and I'm terrified beyond belief of living there with our kids! I've never been to the area, so what's on the news is all I have to go buy to get a glimpse of what it may be like!  We leave next month and the closer the date, the more anxious I feel about living there with our 2 boys...knowing there will be deployment periods where my husband won't be there to "protect" us! I have a feeling I may be over reacting...but if anyone happens to come across this, and they've been stationed at JAX/NS Mayport...how is it?? am i freaking out over nothing?? 

Q: Dear Sally: I was dumped over a promotion!

A: Dear Sally, My friend dumped me because my husband was promoted and hers was not, how do I deal with this? -- Rank Ruined Friendship Dear Rank... Read more.

Q: Nervous about Nookie after Deployment?

A: My husband comes home from his first deployment soon. We have only been married a little over a year and he has been deployed most of that time.... Read more.

Q: Worried about OPSEC?

A: My husband is deployed and they are scheduled to be coming home soon. I keep seeing other spouses in the unit posting stuff like dates and locatio... Read more.

Q: Are You Slowly Going Insane in Base Housing?

A: I know lots of people who hate base housing, but I really like living on base. Well, I did until my new neighbors moved in... they are driving me... Read more.

Q: Should we consider geo-baching?

A: At what point should we let our kids have a say in whether or not we accompany their dad on his next PCS? Our children, ages 15 and 17, have really... Read more.

• Follow us
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Pinterest
  • Google +