Gigya Leaderboard

Portsmouth Naval Shipyard Spouses

Hey all!

The hubby is thinking about putting a request for Portsmouth Naval Shipyard in Kittery ME. I've searched everywhere for military info and the two navy sites they have for it is scarce for info. How's the housing out there? Is there any spouses groups up and running? What side of that tri state area is located close enough to the shipyard? I have teo crazy dogs that are going to need some space. So any info will help me out!!!

Hey alisha,

Thanks for the info. We now found out that PSNY will be our next duty station next May and were excited. I've been on the AHRN network just seeing whats out there even though its a little sonn I like to be prepared. My husband is an officer, but I think we wanna be somewhere out in town. You said that I should look SE Maine or SW NH,would you mind throwing out some town names just so I can kinda see where thats all at? We don't have any children, but we do have two SHelties so we are looking for something with a yard, I hope its not too scarce up there. Do you think it's worth it to take a weekend out to look for housing or will the computer suffice?lol

-Allie

Quoted

We spent three years stationed at PSNY and loved it there.  We still own our house there and may be returning there for another tour next year - yet to be determined.  The Yard (as locals call it) is actually located in Maine, but it is right on the Maine/NH border.  There is not really a "tri sate" area - the Mass border is a good 20 miles south of Portsmouth, and living in Mass presents a whole lot of issues - taxes, traffic, etc.  Living in SW Maine or SE NH is most common.   We lived in Dover, NH, which is in Strafford County NH and is about a 20-25 minute drive to PSNY.  If you want specific information, I would be happy to chat or email you.

The area is beautiful, family-friendly,  has excellent schools and lots of outdoor and cultural attractions.  Outlet shopping in Kittery ME and a moderate-type mall in Portsmouth NH are the closest shopping.  Downtown Portsmouth has lots of little boutiques, as does Exeter NH iff you venture into the southernmost part of NH - highy recommended!  There is also a major mall in Salem NH (Rockingham Park - about 30-40 minutes from PSNY.)

There is limited on-base housing, and only for Officers and Chiefs - none for enlisted - and the base housing is very old and outdated.  (Unless you are a very senior officer, in which case the housing is fabulous Federal-style "mansions" - gorgeous!)  The rental market for off-base housing is mostly houses rather than apartments, and the prices are in line with BAH.  Rental houses are abundant (and on the cheap side for the area) right now because the real-estate sales have been so poor in recent years.

Because we did not live too near the Yard, I was not involved in the spouse's organizations.  They do exist, they are not big.  The vast majority of people at PSNY are civilians - the military makes up a very small percentage of the staff there.  The Wardroom (officers and their wives) was our main resource, and I am sure the enlisted ranks have their own version of this "in-house" social group.

Hope this helps, and please feel free to message or email me if you are looking for more specific info.  You will love the area if you don't mind the cold winters - the gorgeous autumn leaves and comfortable summers more than make up for the cold winters! :-)

Quoted

Hey all!

The hubby is thinking about putting a request for Portsmouth Naval Shipyard in Kittery ME. I've searched everywhere for military info and the two navy sites they have for it is scarce for info. How's the housing out there? Is there any spouses groups up and running? What side of that tri state area is located close enough to the shipyard? I have teo crazy dogs that are going to need some space. So any info will help me out!!!

Thanks its good to know we're moving somewhere nice!

Quoted

Beautiful area. I am from further up the coast in Maine. My sister actually lives 10 minutes from the base in S. Berwick. You can get a house in NH or ME. Either one will be wonderful....outlet shopping, tax free shopping in NH and not to mention beautiful scenery. Not sure if they have base housing or not. Sorry I can't be any more help. Its a very relaxing area. If you are more of a outdoors/country person you will love it...if you like the hustle and bustle of the city..probably not so much. ;)

Hey Paisley,

How did the move go? What's it like over there?

Beautiful area. I am from further up the coast in Maine. My sister actually lives 10 minutes from the base in S. Berwick. You can get a house in NH or ME. Either one will be wonderful....outlet shopping, tax free shopping in NH and not to mention beautiful scenery. Not sure if they have base housing or not. Sorry I can't be any more help. Its a very relaxing area. If you are more of a outdoors/country person you will love it...if you like the hustle and bustle of the city..probably not so much. ;)

Hey! We are PCS-ing to Portsmouth Naval Shipyards in about 3 weeeks! I cant wait. We just got back from apt/house hunting last week. We ended up renting a house in Wells Maine, which is about 25 mins above the base. We found that there are pretty much NO nice apartments for rent. House rentals seems to be the way to go. We found a nice house last min for around the BAH rate. It looks so pretty up there i am so excited to see how beautiful it is this fall. Good luck!

Hi Allie,

You are so lucky to be heading up to NH/ME in May.  late spring and summer are beautiful and it's late enough in spring that you will miss the worst of "mud season" in the spring.  We may be headed back there ourselves next summer.  If not,w e may be looking for new tenants for our house - big fenced in yard, dog-friendly., in-ground pool, 3 bdr, 2.5 bath.  Anyway . . . where to live depends on what kind of town you want, access to shopping, etc.  We lived in Dover, NH, and it is like a Rockwellian small-town USA in the downtown area - several local coffee shops, great littlle local restaurants, good options for ethnic foods (Indian, Chinese, possibly sushi by now, a creperie with owners that are as fabulous as their crepes).  Some chains as well - we got a Panera there a few years ago, which rocked.  A Starbucks, several local organic grocers, plus a couple of great chain grocery stores.  I MISS that town!  Several very nice newer neighborhoods - plenty of yards there - and some more established areas. Two exits onto the N-S turnpike that runs south into Portsmouth, plus sseveral back-road options to the Shipyard.   If you like a more downtown feel, Portsmouth is adorable, but small  yards for the most part.  Dover is considered part of thr tri-cty area of Dover, Somersworth and Rochester.  Dover is definitely the "higher-rent" of the three cities, but it also more attractive and has less crime ( read: almost none.)  This is a place where, outside of the downtown area, you don't need to lick your doors, your neighbors mow your lawn if they notice you haven't gotten to it, walk their dogs together in the evening, have awesome Bunco groups, etc.  I can't say enough nice things about Dover.  I have friends in Maine, and Berwick, and South Berwick Maine are cute.  More rural in Maine, likely easier to get a yard to suit your needs.  (I can recommend an awesome vet, hair salon, doctor, and esthetician.  I also have a friend who is a realtor specializing in rentals that I'm glad to put you in touch with.  She is outstanding and very nice to work with.  You can easily find a place to live ust online, but going in person will give you a good idea about the towns' feel and gneral location relative to the Yard.  If you go to check it out, I recommend you stay at the Silver Fountain Bed & Breakfast in Dover.  It is so quaint, in walkable Dover so you can check out the town on foot, and right off the highway so you can get around easily.  Be sure to go in the fall so you can see the leaves!

If you have specific questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Quoted

Hey alisha,

Thanks for the info. We now found out that PSNY will be our next duty station next May and were excited. I've been on the AHRN network just seeing whats out there even though its a little sonn I like to be prepared. My husband is an officer, but I think we wanna be somewhere out in town. You said that I should look SE Maine or SW NH,would you mind throwing out some town names just so I can kinda see where thats all at? We don't have any children, but we do have two SHelties so we are looking for something with a yard, I hope its not too scarce up there. Do you think it's worth it to take a weekend out to look for housing or will the computer suffice?lol

-Allie

Quoted

We spent three years stationed at PSNY and loved it there.  We still own our house there and may be returning there for another tour next year - yet to be determined.  The Yard (as locals call it) is actually located in Maine, but it is right on the Maine/NH border.  There is not really a "tri sate" area - the Mass border is a good 20 miles south of Portsmouth, and living in Mass presents a whole lot of issues - taxes, traffic, etc.  Living in SW Maine or SE NH is most common.   We lived in Dover, NH, which is in Strafford County NH and is about a 20-25 minute drive to PSNY.  If you want specific information, I would be happy to chat or email you.

The area is beautiful, family-friendly,  has excellent schools and lots of outdoor and cultural attractions.  Outlet shopping in Kittery ME and a moderate-type mall in Portsmouth NH are the closest shopping.  Downtown Portsmouth has lots of little boutiques, as does Exeter NH iff you venture into the southernmost part of NH - highy recommended!  There is also a major mall in Salem NH (Rockingham Park - about 30-40 minutes from PSNY.)

There is limited on-base housing, and only for Officers and Chiefs - none for enlisted - and the base housing is very old and outdated.  (Unless you are a very senior officer, in which case the housing is fabulous Federal-style "mansions" - gorgeous!)  The rental market for off-base housing is mostly houses rather than apartments, and the prices are in line with BAH.  Rental houses are abundant (and on the cheap side for the area) right now because the real-estate sales have been so poor in recent years.

Because we did not live too near the Yard, I was not involved in the spouse's organizations.  They do exist, they are not big.  The vast majority of people at PSNY are civilians - the military makes up a very small percentage of the staff there.  The Wardroom (officers and their wives) was our main resource, and I am sure the enlisted ranks have their own version of this "in-house" social group.

Hope this helps, and please feel free to message or email me if you are looking for more specific info.  You will love the area if you don't mind the cold winters - the gorgeous autumn leaves and comfortable summers more than make up for the cold winters! :-)

Quoted

Hey all!

Quoted

Hey all!

Q: Dear Sally: I was dumped over a promotion!

A: Dear Sally, My friend dumped me because my husband was promoted and hers was not, how do I deal with this? -- Rank Ruined Friendship Dear Rank... Read more.

Q: Nervous about Nookie after Deployment?

A: My husband comes home from his first deployment soon. We have only been married a little over a year and he has been deployed most of that time.... Read more.

Q: Worried about OPSEC?

A: My husband is deployed and they are scheduled to be coming home soon. I keep seeing other spouses in the unit posting stuff like dates and locatio... Read more.

Q: Are You Slowly Going Insane in Base Housing?

A: I know lots of people who hate base housing, but I really like living on base. Well, I did until my new neighbors moved in... they are driving me... Read more.

Q: Should we consider geo-baching?

A: At what point should we let our kids have a say in whether or not we accompany their dad on his next PCS? Our children, ages 15 and 17, have really... Read more.

• Follow us
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Pinterest
  • Google +