Gigya Leaderboard

I've got "Military Wife Syndrom" and I am gaining weight

Yeah, this was a problem for me during Ohio winters.  I got yoga videos from the library and thrift stores.  To be really frugal, pinterest or google "exercises with common household objects" or something -- lift cans of beans like Popeye LOL.  But I found I wasn't motivated to do them alone, so my friend down the street would come over, and we'd do the video together (mocking the instructor as we went LOL) and then cook lunch together.  Having an exercise buddy is the magic trick, I think.  

Your main issue is transportation.  You can only walk around the house so many times.  If you don't have a friend nearby, maybe see if the Spouses' Club or base gym has girls' workout group.... and if someone would carpool with you!  It also might be worth it to either start saving for a scooter or car, or if that's not an option, renting a car or bike once every two weeks to drive to nice park.  OR make plans with DH to go every saturday to the park and pack a picnic.  Make your dates healthy ones :-)  He can invite buddies from work and make it a double date or group thing.  If none of those options work, wake up early with DH and join him for PT.  You don't have to join his group, just walk the track while they do their thing.  Or drop him at work one day a week and keep the car.  Good luck!

++Since you live in bad neighborhood, the first workout program I'd do is a self-defense course.  Call the local police dept. and ask when they have them or if they have a phone number for one.  A lot of self-defense is attitude anyway.  I generally carry a Cricket pocket knife, which is useful for everyday things (why should guys be the only ones who can open a package! LOL) anyway.  My feeling is, if someone is going to attack me, I'm going to do my best to leave some DNA evidence behind for the cops LOL

As my husband calls it, Military Wife Syndrom, where I have nothing to do while he's at work, and my change from an active lifestyle to this has caused rapid weight gain.  I cannot leave the house because I am carless and live in a bad neighborhood. Eating healthy is out of the question when half my meals are fast food thanks to my living environment, although I try hard and do have some healthy success.  I am working out daily, but even so, it is in no comparison to my life back in California where I was walking and jogging several miles a day and stairclimbing and eating three healthy meals a day and had a weight training partner who would work out with me and keep me motivated.  Any advice from other spouces who may have had this and found somethis fun to do to keep them active and healthy?

thank you!!!

Amy Mamma- I think you offered some great advice! When we were first married we also had just one car and the first 8 months lived in a not so nice area. A couple days a week I would drive my husband to work and keep the car so that I could go to the gym on post, pick up food to cook at the commissary, etc. I also went to the library on post and checked out healthy eating cook books. Another time we lived in a third floor apartment and I would just go out and do the stairs as my workout! We now live in NH where winters are not conducive to things I prefer to do such as running and hiking. I bought several different work out DVD's and move the furniture around in my living room so that I can work out at home. I do have a gym membership but somehow find myself better at getting it in if I don't have to leave my driveway. I post on Facebook when I am going to workout- it may annoy my friends and family but if it does they have never said- they actually instead often post encouraging remarks. But I have found that by posting it- I usually make sure that I then do it. Kind of like a virtual work out partner- I am keeping true to me. I also have several sisters and friends scattered across the US and we motivate each other to work out and eat right by way of FB and texts. I would encourage you to find solutions to the fast food aspect. As we all know its not only about calories burned but also calories in, and the quality of what we are eating. Being a milspouse is stressful and we have to take care of ourselves. I have been taking some great vitamin supplements and using a product called ViSalus that has really helped me reach some goals I set for myself. But more importantly I feel fantastic- energetic- and healthy. I wish you all the best!       

Quoted

Yeah, this was a problem for me during Ohio winters.  I got yoga videos from the library and thrift stores.  To be really frugal, pinterest or google "exercises with common household objects" or something -- lift cans of beans like Popeye LOL.  But I found I wasn't motivated to do them alone, so my friend down the street would come over, and we'd do the video together (mocking the instructor as we went LOL) and then cook lunch together.  Having an exercise buddy is the magic trick, I think.  

Your main issue is transportation.  You can only walk around the house so many times.  If you don't have a friend nearby, maybe see if the Spouses' Club or base gym has girls' workout group.... and if someone would carpool with you!  It also might be worth it to either start saving for a scooter or car, or if that's not an option, renting a car or bike once every two weeks to drive to nice park.  OR make plans with DH to go every saturday to the park and pack a picnic.  Make your dates healthy ones :-)  He can invite buddies from work and make it a double date or group thing.  If none of those options work, wake up early with DH and join him for PT.  You don't have to join his group, just walk the track while they do their thing.  Or drop him at work one day a week and keep the car.  Good luck!

++Since you live in bad neighborhood, the first workout program I'd do is a self-defense course.  Call the local police dept. and ask when they have them or if they have a phone number for one.  A lot of self-defense is attitude anyway.  I generally carry a Cricket pocket knife, which is useful for everyday things (why should guys be the only ones who can open a package! LOL) anyway.  My feeling is, if someone is going to attack me, I'm going to do my best to leave some DNA evidence behind for the cops LOL

Q: Dear Sally: I was dumped over a promotion!

A: Dear Sally, My friend dumped me because my husband was promoted and hers was not, how do I deal with this? -- Rank Ruined Friendship Dear Rank... Read more.

Q: Nervous about Nookie after Deployment?

A: My husband comes home from his first deployment soon. We have only been married a little over a year and he has been deployed most of that time.... Read more.

Q: Worried about OPSEC?

A: My husband is deployed and they are scheduled to be coming home soon. I keep seeing other spouses in the unit posting stuff like dates and locatio... Read more.

Q: Are You Slowly Going Insane in Base Housing?

A: I know lots of people who hate base housing, but I really like living on base. Well, I did until my new neighbors moved in... they are driving me... Read more.

Q: Should we consider geo-baching?

A: At what point should we let our kids have a say in whether or not we accompany their dad on his next PCS? Our children, ages 15 and 17, have really... Read more.

• Follow us
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Pinterest
  • Google +