Gigya Leaderboard

dealing with housing office

I live a mile off of this base, and its TINY. By far smaller than any base I've ever been to. There are plenty of options as far as off base housing go, and it'd be a better option.  Lincoln Military Housing has been under fire for lack of better living conditions in the base housing.

Quoted

Actually that has been Navy policy for a very long time we have dealt with it ourselves stateside and overseas. If there is a shortage of 3 and also 4 bedroom housing, then they can place restrictions on it which means that 2 children can share a room (happens all the time in the civilian world) if they are opposite gender then it is 6; same gender it is 10. 

Definitely look at off base because most Navy housing is off base anyway so you don't necessarily save in gas sometimes it can be farther away so take that into consideration. 

Quoted

I think the housing office may be bullying you. It doesn't matter that you're kids are both under 6, it's the fact that one is a girl and one is a boy, you should be eligible for three bedrooms. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but I would seriously press the issue. On the positive side, I would look off-base for a three bedroom anyway... you could really end up saving some money. I've lived up in that area and we chose to live off base. We made money each month, rather than having every penny of our BAH taken and given to bad management company.

Good luck!

Thanks you all for you input. I have tried to understand their full reasoning behind being such sticklers for this rule. Looking at the housing website and seeing the hotlist or current availables, there are over 12 3beds and 22 2beds. why cant they just give me the 3? The problem with going into looking and living off base is this base is in a higher priced community and everyone knows how low our housing allowance is. To get the size we need, including all nessassary utilities, we are over the allowance and that doesnt work for us. Finding a place that is within the price range we have would mean living about 40 minutes away and that is not good for us as far as gas and everything else goes. We wanted to go back to this base for several reasons. We want our kids to have a small town raising, have the chance to go to a great DoD school, and for us to save money.

We are currently less than 2 weeks to move date and less than a month from arriving to the command. I am going to call tomorrow and really hound them. We deserve what we ask for if they have the space. The reason they have this space is because its such a small school base and they have PLENTY of houses availiable. This just isnt fair!

We are about to move across country from San Diego to Dahlgren Naval base outside of Fredricksburg VA. I sent in my paperwork for housing a couple months ago and have spoken to the housing office so I know they recieved my paperwork and are just waiting for us. The problem is I requested a 3 bedroom place (it is my hubby, our almost 3 year old son, 18 month old daughter, and myself) but the housing office says that we only qualify for a 2 bedroom because my husband is not a e-7 or above and/or neither our children is over the age of 6. I understand that this is a VERY small base and they are very limited on the number of houses that they have available. This is a training command for my husband's specific area of his rate, but we are going for his instructor duty which means we will be there over 3 years instead of the under 1 year that most people and families are their for. My kids currently sleep in seperate rooms for several reasons but housing office says they wont let us have anything bigger unless my husband makes rank (he is e-5) or one of our kids turns 6. I want to be on base to take advantage of the opportunities there, we would only need one car them, and so my kids can start school at the DoD school that only base families can attend.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get this housing office to work with me. As of right now we will be living with students and their families, which means you run the chance of alot of issues. The website states that e-1 and up are able to get a 3 bed and the 2 bedrooms are only availiable in one area and that with the students. I have no problem with the students and families but I think that if they have the units availiable (12 3beds as of monday July16) then they should allow us to be there. At least then they would have that unit being used. I am very frustrated and annoyed with these people!

I think the housing office may be bullying you. It doesn't matter that you're kids are both under 6, it's the fact that one is a girl and one is a boy, you should be eligible for three bedrooms. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but I would seriously press the issue. On the positive side, I would look off-base for a three bedroom anyway... you could really end up saving some money. I've lived up in that area and we chose to live off base. We made money each month, rather than having every penny of our BAH taken and given to bad management company.

Good luck!

Housing is limited and so the command has issued these requirements so there is nothing that you can do in order to get them to work with you. It would not matter than you are there 1 year or 3 years.  This isn't a new regulation this is one that has been in place for a long time.  Places where there is limited housing that is what is necessary in order to have enough housing available.  Opposite until 6; Same  then until they are 10.  So your only choice is to find a place off base to rent while you are there. 

Actually that has been Navy policy for a very long time we have dealt with it ourselves stateside and overseas. If there is a shortage of 3 and also 4 bedroom housing, then they can place restrictions on it which means that 2 children can share a room (happens all the time in the civilian world) if they are opposite gender then it is 6; same gender it is 10. 

Definitely look at off base because most Navy housing is off base anyway so you don't necessarily save in gas sometimes it can be farther away so take that into consideration. 

Quoted

Good luck!

What is says on the webpage and what is possible can always be 2 different things.  There could be a reason behind saying there isn't anything available including something like a command transfer shortly. If that happens then they can get first priority for the housing. Also remember those could also be new housing being built or maybe housing being remodeled. It also could be people who have given notification they are transferring but until they move out it is occupied (last move had to push back leaving date 5 times because of orders not coming).  So if you look at the dates that they are available some are not until late August, September and even October, that means while it might look like 12 available, it is really only only 3, 3 bedrooms.  That looks like it is the biggest housing so they do have to leave it for those that qualify for it with 2 older children or even 3 or 4 children. 

I know you hate not knowing about housing and it is putting you in a panic -  BTDT multiple times. Every location has different regulations depending on the commmand there at the time and what he/she feels is necessary.   You get up to 10 days of TLE so don't worry about it, plus the movers can take awhile to get there in summer so you won't have much stuff with you unless you are doing a Full DITY/PPM.

This is my suggestion, is treat them as you would want to be treated yourself when going in.  Being upset will not help the situation at all just make it worse so kindness and politeness is what you use because it does get your farther.  When you do get there, before you go in take a deep breathe and put a smile on your face.  Ask the receptionist how she/he is doing today (often they are from the back as well just rotating) and then get the referral to the person you need to speak to about the section of housing you are looking at.  Then work from there and ask about the 3 bedroom housing.  If they say it isn't available then ask why (politely) as you have seen so many available online. 

Q: Dear Sally: I was dumped over a promotion!

A: Dear Sally, My friend dumped me because my husband was promoted and hers was not, how do I deal with this? -- Rank Ruined Friendship Dear Rank... Read more.

Q: Nervous about Nookie after Deployment?

A: My husband comes home from his first deployment soon. We have only been married a little over a year and he has been deployed most of that time.... Read more.

Q: Worried about OPSEC?

A: My husband is deployed and they are scheduled to be coming home soon. I keep seeing other spouses in the unit posting stuff like dates and locatio... Read more.

Q: Are You Slowly Going Insane in Base Housing?

A: I know lots of people who hate base housing, but I really like living on base. Well, I did until my new neighbors moved in... they are driving me... Read more.

Q: Should we consider geo-baching?

A: At what point should we let our kids have a say in whether or not we accompany their dad on his next PCS? Our children, ages 15 and 17, have really... Read more.

• Follow us
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Pinterest
  • Google +