Gigya Leaderboard

Are we Overly Sensitive Military Wives?

I don't believe that this site is cyber bullying anyone it's just dry humor and sarcasm and poking fun at stereotypes of military spouses. Honestly I believe cyber bullying is a personal attack. This is making fun of the stereotypical wives as a whole. Take it as what it . The constitution in fact protects freedom of speech I don't think this page was meant to put any milspouses in to tears. Everyone knows what depiction of a stereotype mil spouse its just someone who published the already present stigma on the web as satire. I think most ppl who find offense are ppl who read it and think this person is taking about me and feel its a personal attack because they are the stereotype that's just my opinion anyway my advice if you don't like it don't look at it. Like a shirt you don't like don't wear it. Don't get a petition to ban the shirt that's just silly.

Quoted

So, one of my authors on our blog wrote about a Facebook group called "Overly Sensitive Military Wives" (read the post here) which is basically a raunchy but hilarious facebook page dedicated making fun of military spouse stereotypes.

The entire thing has gotten a bit out of control. It's kind of a Basewives vs. OSMW thing, and I've gone as far as supporting the author in hosting a petition against Cyber Bullying.

I don't know though, I'm torn. What do you guys think? Is this actually cyber bullying, or is it just opt-in humor?

But I do believe cyber bullying, for what it is, is a horrible thing and am asking that you support our cause by signing our petition! Our petition is not meant to stop anyone or shut anything down, it's simply to raise awareness.

Are we out of line?

I consider cyber bullying to be a direct attack on a specific person.  This site, from what I looked at, seems to be pretty generalized about who they are attacking ie:  gungho military wives and obese wives.  So whether or not the site in general falls under cyber bullying isn't readily apparent since some posts will fall under that definition while other don't.   I don't agree with taking photos of strangers and posting them for ridicule, especially when these people aren't aware that some person has taken a photo of them.  Personally, I'm not a fan of the site.  Yeah, I do disagree with some of the things military wives do, but "to each their own", and I don't find it necessary to call them out.  I don't really see a positive purpose to the site other that giving some wives a platform for voicing their superiority over other military wives who see and do things differently than they do.  On a side note:  What the heck is up with the obsession with bacon? 

The great thing is, if we don't want to read it, we don't have to!  While I have thought some of the posts were humerous, sometimes the responses get to me and make me a little uneasy....so, I will let them have their fun and find another site that I enjoy!

The best way to handle this is to let others know your stance by the example you set!  What goes around, comes around and if you put out goodness, good will return to you!

So, one of my authors on our blog wrote about a Facebook group called "Overly Sensitive Military Wives" (read the post here) which is basically a raunchy but hilarious facebook page dedicated making fun of military spouse stereotypes.

The entire thing has gotten a bit out of control. It's kind of a Basewives vs. OSMW thing, and I've gone as far as supporting the author in hosting a petition against Cyber Bullying.

I don't know though, I'm torn. What do you guys think? Is this actually cyber bullying, or is it just opt-in humor?

But I do believe cyber bullying, for what it is, is a horrible thing and am asking that you support our cause by signing our petition! Our petition is not meant to stop anyone or shut anything down, it's simply to raise awareness.

Are we out of line?

I know some good points have been made from the OSMW side such as freedom of speech, unlike the page if you don't want to read it, or "if the Westboro Baptist Church can do it, so can we" -

But I still wonder if posting pictures of people in line at the PX is a little overboard?

Q: Dear Sally: I was dumped over a promotion!

A: Dear Sally, My friend dumped me because my husband was promoted and hers was not, how do I deal with this? -- Rank Ruined Friendship Dear Rank... Read more.

Q: Nervous about Nookie after Deployment?

A: My husband comes home from his first deployment soon. We have only been married a little over a year and he has been deployed most of that time.... Read more.

Q: Worried about OPSEC?

A: My husband is deployed and they are scheduled to be coming home soon. I keep seeing other spouses in the unit posting stuff like dates and locatio... Read more.

Q: Are You Slowly Going Insane in Base Housing?

A: I know lots of people who hate base housing, but I really like living on base. Well, I did until my new neighbors moved in... they are driving me... Read more.

Q: Should we consider geo-baching?

A: At what point should we let our kids have a say in whether or not we accompany their dad on his next PCS? Our children, ages 15 and 17, have really... Read more.

• Follow us
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Pinterest
  • Google +