Gigya Leaderboard

NO FAMILY, No FRIENDS NO HELP from the Army & SOON-- NO HUSBAND

I would suggest you start looking for programs outside the army maybe see if it's any easier that way where in Texas are you. Try enrolling them in a public school with a good special needs program

Quoted

Hello! I am very desperate for help! As I am about at the end of my rope!

Background:

My husband was in the NC National Guard for 6 years and served a 15 mth deployment to Iraq with them.

We moved to Ft Hood Texas from North Carolina where we did not live on post or near a base but had family and friends there.

We moved at the end of March just before Easter.

We have 3 children 13,7,15mths ALL are in enrolled in EFMP for various reasons.

Our oldest suffers from depression & OCD & ODD

Our middle child has AUSTIM & ADHD & Anxiety along with other issues

Our youngest is delayed and showing the SAME signs as the middle child did early on.

WE ARE NEW TO ACTIVE DUTY & TEXAS.

We where told that it was REQUIRED for us to enroll the children in EFMP due to their medical issues. They also stated it was to place us on a post that would be able to accommodate all their needs.

Since being here I have tried to enroll my chidlren in several services along with getting them back in the therpies they had before we moved. I have hit WALL after WALL! It is mountains of paper work, then documention from the dr, then appointment after apointment and hours of sitting and waiting. I have tried to JUMP every HOOP they have giving me but Im about at the end of my rope!

My husband has weeks of field training for the next months then he is deploying. We fight constantly and have even talked about divorce.

He has been in trouble with his 1st Sgt for missing work due to appts and not being focused due to the on going stress.

I have been suffering from panic attacks and have lost 20 lbs due to the stress.

The PROBLEMS:

1   The school on post doesnt want to accommodate my middle childs needs. They want her placed in a self contained room WHICH she HAS NEVER BEEN IN & DOES NOT NEED.

2  The CYSS will not enroll or provide any services for the younger 2 due to vaccines not being completed. WHICH IS MY PERSONAL BELIEF. They said we needed to provided drs note for a wavier BUT once we did that THEY STILL wanted more! Granted this was after 6 VISITS to their office!   * therefore no child care, no summer camp, no sports, no youth center......... basicly they cant do anything or attend anything offered by the army.

3  I cant not find a Peds Ortho which my middle child is to see every 4-6 months, the OTs & PTs that my youngest 2 used to see WEEKLY have waiting list so long they are still on them.

I have been told for several VITAL medical appts that I can NOT being anyone besides the Patient BUT I HAVE NO CHILD CARE!

I am BETWEEN a ROCK and a HARD place.

I just need childcare to attend appts and hoped to be able to do my errands -pay bills, mow grass, run to walmart for food.

No to mention the lack of services in the area have ( and still are ) causin my children to regress!

If i would have know this I would have NEVER MOVED. THIS IS RUINING MY LIFE!

WHY wouldnt someone from the Army, efmp etc TELL us we would not have ANY help from them if we didnt abide by their rules?????

I feel the ARMY made promises BUT they didnt disclose the FINE PRINT!

My husband is facing an article 15 now due not meeting deadlines..... as his Sgt has told him to have the children enrolled etc. They are going to take his pay (he says) They think it is that easy to do but we have tried to explain otherwise.

I KNOW THIS IS A LONG RANT BUT I NEED HELP! IM IN A NIGHTMARE THAT IS GOING TO GET WORSE! Im not cut out to be an army wife. I dont want to care for special needs children alone with out any help -- any break -- and any therapies for them! Ive done all I can but IM BREAKING DOWN...... FALLING APART!

------ Things to know:

Paying a sitter is costly and we are BROKE! My husbands a SPC

I have spoken with EFMP more times then I can count- they have provided NO HELP!

My husbands unit currently has NO FRG leader therefore no meetings.

My 7 yr old just wants to play with other kids and make friends

OVER MY dead body will I comply with the vaccines they are demanding.

****I realize that is my choice BUT NO one told me I would be punished for it!

Not to mention We have medical doccumention stating it is not in their best interest.

HOW & WHY would the army treat us like this? Move us 22 hrs then drop us like a bad habit.

Why is it that soldiers are know for FIGHTING FOR FREEDOM yet the army is ruling like a dictatorship?

Hi Army Nat! (I think I remembered your name right =))

You're welcome to Email me if you need to talk, I understand where you're at.   Have you contacted MilitaryOneSource??????   They can offer your children counseling sessions during the wait. 
  They also have other help available.  Look them up.

First thing I have to mention, is consider how stressed your children are, on top of having diseases to handle and deal with mentally themselves, now they see that you are stressed out and having financial and marital problems (and you can bet your butt)  that they feel like it is all their fault. So, point of my story is consider your children and the stress they're under too.  
  Have you created your new schedule yet for the new home?  Children with disabilites (I am one of sorts) THRIVE on structure and discipline. No joke.    If you haven't, start now.
  (I'm sorry, I understand if what I've said came of terrible,  In context I think it wouldn't sound so terrible.)

I live near Fort Hood if you want to Email back and forth and see about getting out together to go to Austin or whatever, I am closer to Waco.  Sounds like you could use a night out, I don't have children and I'm in my late 20's (way late 20's  =)  ... )

I think secondly you should remove your husband from the equation.  Have him go to work, have him pay what he needs to, attend to everything he should, and remove some of the stress from him.  You don't want to cost the both of you your income and have your husband lose his job. 
  I know where you're at right now.  Very. Very. stressed - Everything seems to be compiling into one huge ball of problems. 

Take the divorce off the table, I think that  its causing more problems being brought up then it would ever do any good!!   If your relationship is that terrible and it is really a prospect in the relationship (to ultimately have it end)  then that can be brought up at a later time when things have cooled down.  So, just stop it.  ;)     I know when you're very stressed and you're fighting so bad you can hardly stand eachothers faces that bringing up divorce seems like the next option - but its not.  If its sincerely a problem you two can discuss it at a more appropriate time.  Now is not the time.

Don't allow your husband to miss work for appointments.   Remove direct stress from your husband right now and allow him to get his footing (you've only been here a few months)  at his job and get in good with the boss.  (and then ease him into the problems you're having as he can help.)     "*****He has been in trouble with his 1st Sgt for missing work due to appts and not being focused due to the on going stress."

I have been suffering from panic attacks and have lost 20 lbs due to the stress.

Slow down, take a breather.  I know you're busy - but take it all in.  Take your children to daycare for even just a day and get everything in order, or just take a nap.  You may not be able to afford every day daycare but stress reliving daycare is a must.

The PROBLEMS:

1   The school on post doesnt want to accommodate my middle childs needs. They want her placed in a self contained room WHICH she HAS NEVER BEEN IN & DOES NOT NEED.
***Tell them "No", ask what their other ideas might be. Ask a lot of questions, figure out their way of thinking and their mind set.  Discuss with them why they think this is a good idea, and tell them your position.  Do Not Get Emotional.  Get references from your previous school, all that will take is an Email and a printer. Do it at 10P when the kids are already asleep.     If you need I will go with you.  I've got no problem with asking an enormous amount of questions to get to a resolve.  Its my super power. ;)

2  The CYSS will not enroll or provide any services for the younger 2 due to vaccines not being completed. WHICH IS MY PERSONAL BELIEF. They said we needed to provided drs note for a wavier BUT once we did that THEY STILL wanted more! Granted this was after 6 VISITS to their office!   * therefore no child care, no summer camp, no sports, no youth center......... basicly they cant do anything or attend anything offered by the army.
   Why the change of heart on the vaccinations (You've obviously had your 1st child done)?  I currently have the same view point as you, I have also read that vaccinations affect children of certain disabilities differently then those without disabilities.    Again, SLOW DOWN.   From what I can gather you're running around constantly and getting no where.

Thirdly:  Set. up. meetings.    With every and all persons that you need to get "in" with.   Cover all of the information, have them write it down and sign it.  That way its documented.  I've also learned in important appointments to take my cell phone and take a "video" of the appointment.  Its very helpful.  I use it mostly during the Q & A segment of my meetings.

3  I cant not find a Peds Ortho which my middle child is to see every 4-6 months, the OTs & PTs that my youngest 2 used to see WEEKLY have waiting list so long they are still on them.
  Contact the insurance company, with the long wait lists, I'm near positive that they can help you find offbase care during your time on the wait list for your position for appointments on base.   What you DO know is that you are approved for care.  Thats exactly what you need to know, contact your healthcare insurance and get names and numbers for local offices in the Fort Hood area that can help you.  Go to your PM and get the references for these places.  For your oldest child have you looked into =Big brothers/ Big sisters?  They may be able to help with getting her out of the house and having a pleasant time. Contact both.

I have been told for several VITAL medical appts that I can NOT being anyone besides the Patient BUT I HAVE NO CHILD CARE!
Contact the local YMCA, they usually can help with this.  (I am from Camp Pendleton) and there was a YMCA on base that offered Gas cards, Powdered milk & needed groceries or grocerie cards, child care just for these instances for people in need.    Look for local charities in the area. 
  If you cannot find any child care by local charities, check with your local churches. They can be very helpful.

I just need childcare to attend appts and hoped to be able to do my errands -pay bills, mow grass, run to walmart for food.

No to mention the lack of services in the area have ( and still are ) causin my children to regress! 
Check out local areas for ball teams, dance sessions, and whatever else.  Don't depend on the military to get your children involved.    Children left to their own devices will regress regardless of disability. 

Consider moving back home, to reinstate your childrens prior care during the time that you're on the wait list at your new offices.   When all of this is well taken care of move back and start over slowly.
You're putting way to much pressure on yourself.  stop it.

WHY wouldnt someone from the Army, efmp etc TELL us we would not have ANY help from them if we didnt abide by their rules?????
They are abiding by their own rules, rules are different in new places, there is ample amount of paperwork and run around in alllllll areas of the military.  I had rounds of doctor appointments while in CA and upon moving I had to start ALL over.  It took me OVER 6 months to get back to where I was on base before I'd left.     Give it time, thats what its going to take.    You'll know for next time what needs to be taken care of before your move to save on time. =)

Its understandable you feel upset, but stop pointing fingers and getting angry, and make a list of things need to be done, make appointments to meet with each of these places (all doctors included), get referrals for future references from past teachers, doctors, babysitters, relatives,   get ahead of the curve and stop riding it.   Get all of the information you'll need to make informed decisions, this will quicken your process by 50%. 

My husband is facing an article 15 now due not meeting deadlines..... as his Sgt has told him to have the children enrolled etc. They are going to take his pay (he says) They think it is that easy to do but we have tried to explain otherwise.
Set up a meeting with your husband and his Sgt, all three of you can discuss this.  Don't go by your husbands word of mouth.  Contact the Sgt and ask what needs to be done, what you should do, where you can go from where you are now, how to get there, whether or not this can be delayed, if he needs written notes or letters, etc. 

I KNOW THIS IS A LONG RANT BUT I NEED HELP! IM IN A NIGHTMARE THAT IS GOING TO GET WORSE! Im not cut out to be an army wife. I dont want to care for special needs children alone with out any help -- any break -- and any therapies for them! Ive done all I can but IM BREAKING DOWN...... FALLING APART!
BREATHE!

------ Things to know:

**People of certain ranks get ... donations, Check with the local YMCA and military one source.

I have spoken with EFMP more times then I can count- they have provided NO HELP!
The Fort Hood EFMP is comprised of the ACS EFMP office, located in the Rivers Building, Building 121, T.J. Mills Boulevard and 761st Tank Battalion Avenue, and the EFMP Clinic located at the Carl R. Darnall Army Medical Center.  Enrollment and update enrollments are accomplished by contacting the EFMP clinic at 288-8099
                                           *Make an appointment, go in person without your children, carry all of your childrens medical and references and ask every question you need to help take care of your current position.   (Make a list of Q's before you go.)

Is your husband a part of a larger Unit, usually smaller units will not have an FRO/FRG, but they will belong to a larger unit (either out of a different area, or the same area) and that larger unit will have an FRG that you may be able to use. 

Take them to the ball park, the cost is cheap and its a team environment that all kids thrive in.

Are you doing this because you're stubborn, or you have a viable belief that these will cause harm and/or harm your children etc.  ?    (I am just asking, not pointing the finger. =D)

Not to mention We have medical doccumention stating it is not in their best interest.
Set up a phone call for the time that you have an appointment with your current Primary Care physician.  Have your previous doctor cover all of the information, pertaining or not to the documentation, and have them ask on your behalf what needs to be done. 
Conference calls can help and solve a lot. =D

HOW & WHY would the army treat us like this? Move us 22 hrs then drop us like a bad habit.
Things move differently in different areas, you need to adjust to current life where you're not living, they'll accept different documentation in different areas -  I doubt its the Armys fault, its likely on a "by person" basis, and not the army distinctly making decisions.   You need to figure out what the doctors actually need to see in order to get your children into their program.   If the vaccines are what is keeping them from enrolling, then you need to either consider the vaccinations or not be able to enroll them into a special program without paying out of pocket.
         Many of these programs are not a RIGHT, they are a privilege.   You've gotten used to being given this privilege, so it feels like a right.  But its not.     If you cannot follow the guidelines you will likely not be able to offer your children this counseling unless you find a doctor and pay out of pocket. =/

Why is it that soldiers are know for FIGHTING FOR FREEDOM yet the army is ruling like a dictatorship?

Every branch is like this.    They may be fighting for our "freedom" , but it is infact by technicality a job, and thus will be treated like so by the government.    Its all about the paperwork man. =)

Sorry its so long!!  I hope things start looking up for you.  Get ahold of me if you need a sidekick with a super power to help with your meetings. 

Contact militaryonesource to check out any local charities in your area that may be able to help you. 

It sucks having problems, but I really think you need to stop blaming the military for your problems and start taking responsibility for your choices instead.  You decided to move across country with your children who obviously have some severe issues that need to be dealt with.  The bottom line is you should have researched the area that you were going to before you went there.  Now that you are there, you are going to have to do some research into the area to find a school that will allow you to send your children unvaccinated and that will be a better fit for your children than the school on base. 

The military actually sounds like it is bending over backwards to try to help you with your children, but you are unwilling to accept their terms.  That is not the military's fault. Again that is a decision that you are making. I am not telling you its the wrong decision, but it is definitely going to make it harder for you, and because of this you are going to have to do more leg work and work harder to get what you need and want.  I've personally never dealt with the military where it didn't involve going to at least 4 different offices and a mountain of paperwork--especially if a pc's is involved--and my pcs are pretty run of the mill.

Your husband getting in trouble is again not the militarie's fault.  My husband has been in for quite a few years now, and from what I have seen and what he has seen, the military usually bends over backwards to help people when they are having problems.   If your husband's sergeant is no longer willing to help him, then perhaps the sergeant sees that you and your husband need to start either compromising or stop expecting the military to do everything for you.  Maybe they have done everything that they can for you.  I think you need to work on making sure your husband is able to make it to work and do what he needs to do for the job.  Unfortunately, because he is going to be deployed, you are going to have to step up soon anyway.  Now is the time to get some practice in this and to get used to doing things on your own. 

You can get free counseling if your are having problems with marriage, but again it will require you doing the leg work.  You will have to call military one source or go tot he chaplin or whatever, but the military can't work on your relationship for you.   That is something your husband and you are going to have to work out.

Hello! I am very desperate for help! As I am about at the end of my rope!

Background:

My husband was in the NC National Guard for 6 years and served a 15 mth deployment to Iraq with them.

We moved to Ft Hood Texas from North Carolina where we did not live on post or near a base but had family and friends there.

We moved at the end of March just before Easter.

We have 3 children 13,7,15mths ALL are in enrolled in EFMP for various reasons.

Our oldest suffers from depression & OCD & ODD

Our middle child has AUSTIM & ADHD & Anxiety along with other issues

Our youngest is delayed and showing the SAME signs as the middle child did early on.

WE ARE NEW TO ACTIVE DUTY & TEXAS.

We where told that it was REQUIRED for us to enroll the children in EFMP due to their medical issues. They also stated it was to place us on a post that would be able to accommodate all their needs.

Since being here I have tried to enroll my chidlren in several services along with getting them back in the therpies they had before we moved. I have hit WALL after WALL! It is mountains of paper work, then documention from the dr, then appointment after apointment and hours of sitting and waiting. I have tried to JUMP every HOOP they have giving me but Im about at the end of my rope!

My husband has weeks of field training for the next months then he is deploying. We fight constantly and have even talked about divorce.

He has been in trouble with his 1st Sgt for missing work due to appts and not being focused due to the on going stress.

The PROBLEMS:

------ Things to know:

Hey there, I wanna start by saying that I wish I could give you a hug, or buy you a drink, or both! You are under a LOT of stress. This whole lifestyle is new to you, and the military lifestyle requires an unholy amount of independence and determination. You have those qualities! 

I will say that I do agree with what some of the other ladies are saying, and that I do not share your stance on vaccines. Personally, I think they are lifesavers, but I am sure you have done your research and have your reasons for making the decision you've made. Unfortunately it does put you at odds with CYSS, but I know there are other mom's out there who share your opinions and lifestyle, and I am sure there are plenty at Ft. Hood. I think one of the best things you can do would be to seek out similarlly minded women. You can support each other and make Texas seem less lonely. 

My BIGGEST recommendation to you is to get a CASE MANAGER for your children. They have them at every clinic. And if you are dissatisfied with your care please talk to the patient advocate in your clinic or for the primary hospital down there. Contact the patient advocate at Darnall Army Medical Center. Here are the phone numbers listed in case the link does not work. Phone: (254) 288-8156, (254) 288-8157, (254) 288-8167, (254) 288-8168. The office is on the first floor (main lobby, right of the Information Desk) RM#1401. and the rep's name is Ms. Cheryl Turner. 

http://www.hood.army.mil/mobile/CRGD.aspx?Support%20Group%20-%20Pregnancy/New%20Parents 

Above is a link to a list of Hood support groups. This one might apply to you more than the others, and there is a hyperlink for an email address - maybe they can give you some advice on the EFMP thing!Monthly ACS EFMP Support GroupDFMWR, ACS, EFMPThis monthly support group meets to share common experiences unique to special needs. It provides a place to network within the community and to learn about new information and resources on special needs. This support group meets the 4th Monday of each month at 1800–2000 in building 52024, Comanche Chapel on Tank Destroyer. Each month a guest speaker addresses a specific special need and provides information on available resourcesSoldiers, Family Members, adolescent dependents, babies, and couples, of all age groups.Monthly(254) 287-6070Email UsVisit Website

GOOD LUCK!!! I hope things get better for you. 

Hi there ArmyNat. I did live in Texas, El Paso to be exact from Septomber 2010 through August 2011. We had similar issues that you are going through that we went through at Ft. Bliss. To sum it all up, kids and I moved to where my family is located so I have the extra help. You may need to think that could be a route for you. My husband has been in the army for 14 years now. This was the 1st duty station out of 4 we have been to as a family that wasn't helping us with medical problems, housing issues along with education issues. We are also an EFMP family too. Which they couldn't help much with us either.

Since we moved up here last year, my kids are striving and do much better. I am also doing much better by staying healthy living near my family. A price that is costing my marriage just to make sure the children are taken care of. Yes it puts a strain us but we are committed to making sure our children are taken care of. 

Might be something you may need to look into as well. If you have any questions please send me a message. GL with what you decide though.

You are understandably stressed. My advice is worth what you pay for it, so take what you like and leave the rest. You should prioritize all the things you are dealing with. Keep a spiral notebook, make a checklist for the EFMP, and follow it to a "T". It sounds like getting them enrolled in CYS is the priority, although that may require EFMP enrollment first. Call and make an appointment with an EFMP counselor. Thye will help you with your checklist of items to get through the entire process.

It's not the military's fault that you are having issues or that your husband is about to get an article 15. It just it what it is. Where is your husband in all this? Is he helping you? He should be directing questions to his COC and they WILL help. We all realize it's hard to move, but take a deep breath and think of how YOU can make a subtle change of mind in adapting to your new situation. You're might be thinking I don't know what I'm talking about or that I'm not sympathetic, but I hope you'll understand that you need to step away from the pity party, keep your chin up, and dig deep for that reserve of patience that you DO have. And anyway, do you think your life would be any easier if your husband wasn't in the military? Think of how much you would be paying in medical bills, with no EFMP program to turn to. There wouldn't be ANY option of free/low cost childcare.

You have the challenges of three children with the needs of the EFMP; you refuse vaccinations for them, and while this is a personal choice that you have the right to, please do not blame others for the extra challenges that arise from this... you DO put other children and your own at risk with this choice... not judging you, just stating the facts. The DOD is understandably going to expect proper documentation for this.

You can get online help through myarmyonesource.com. It is an excellent resource to get pointed in the right direction when you hit a wall, as you said. There is also a link for counseling, which considering the amount of stress you are dealing with, it would be a good idea to have an unbiased sounding board. There are links to help you with so many issues your are working through. EFMP, CYSS, counseling, and other support services.

Also, sittercity.com is free for military members, so set up an account and use that to get a cheap sitter while you attend your appointments. You can post a job with what you need, for how long, and how much you are willing to pay. You will get responses, I promise.

If you can't get child care on post then you find someone through the websites and so forth that are avaiable to use.  Some will even give a discount for it.  Or you even look at hiring one of the local teenagers to do it because they are always looking to earn some cash or might be willing to do a trade off as well.  sometimes that is possible. 

Financially if you are having problems then have you looking into WIC, food stamps? Are the children eligible for Social Security because of their issues? 

Yes the CYS can require a lot of paperwork but that is for a valid reason. It is called liability and if anything happens to that child while under their care they have to make sure they are aware of it, can handle it and have all the paperwork necessary.  Once it is done, it is done.  But also know that if you have an attitude or making a stink they will put your paperwork on the bottom.  All it took was a deep breathe, calm down and ask to speak to the head to find out what would be required in the end.  Then you could have placed a call to the Receiptionist at the MTF and often they are able to help you out as well by even faxing the information over.

Having a problem getting appointments because they are too busy then you request to get referred off or you go to Tricare Standard so YOU have the choice in who the kids see. You are not obligated to stay on Prime especially if you feel there is problems.  You can also go to a Patient Advocate at the MTF if there is issues and required to stay there.  But you have to understand you are not the only parent with children having problems, there is LOTS of parents out there that are going through the same thing.

Yes other children are not allowed at the appointment because then that means more time is spent with the other ones. If you have to go with all 3 for the middle child then the 13 year old could take the 15 month old for a little bit and look after them out in the waiting area. 

The school on post is limited in what it can and can't do. The school cannot do what every parent wants to happen to their child it isn't possible.  They may not have the staff to facilitate what your child needs and this is the only solution.  If it is DoD then it can be difficult because their hands are tied.  one option is you look at another school that specializes in kids with issues like yours does.

yes your husband can get into trouble because the command that is getting ready for deployment does not want personal and family issues to affect the work which it is obviously doing. 

Q: Dear Sally: I was dumped over a promotion!

A: Dear Sally, My friend dumped me because my husband was promoted and hers was not, how do I deal with this? -- Rank Ruined Friendship Dear Rank... Read more.

Q: Nervous about Nookie after Deployment?

A: My husband comes home from his first deployment soon. We have only been married a little over a year and he has been deployed most of that time.... Read more.

Q: Worried about OPSEC?

A: My husband is deployed and they are scheduled to be coming home soon. I keep seeing other spouses in the unit posting stuff like dates and locatio... Read more.

Q: Are You Slowly Going Insane in Base Housing?

A: I know lots of people who hate base housing, but I really like living on base. Well, I did until my new neighbors moved in... they are driving me... Read more.

Q: Should we consider geo-baching?

A: At what point should we let our kids have a say in whether or not we accompany their dad on his next PCS? Our children, ages 15 and 17, have really... Read more.

• Follow us
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Pinterest
  • Google +