Gigya Leaderboard

Camp Pendleton Basics

This is our second time being stationed here at CP.  We love it out here. We lived on the base in San Onofre the first time (North side) and this time we moved on to the south side near the ocean on base while we shopped for houses..and just moved out to Temecula/Murrieta area (inland area). I'll try to answer the questions as best as possible

??

1. Which direction is the heaviest flow of traffic during morning and evening commutes (this doesn’t necessarily mean traffic to base, but in general)? This question is geared to those who live on and off base, north, east and south of base...so basically everyone!

All traffic on to the base is heavy in the early mornings, depending on which time as well as traffic off base around 4-4:30.  Of course traffic is heavy on the I-5 south to San Diego in the mornings and North out of San Diego in the evenings for all the non-military people.   Conversely it is true on the north side of base, the traffic is heavy on the I-5 to LA and bad going south out of LA in the evening.  Since we now live inland, the I-15 and I-215 can get thick in the mornings south to San Diego and evenings North from San Diego.

2. What is the wait period for base housing? My husband will be at 1st MarDiv, do you suggest any specific neighborhoods? Of course those located near the ocean are desired...but is it very difficult to live there?

It depends on your spouses rank for the wait period. Please check Lincoln military housing CP site, they have a new list that comes out for the currently available houses on either Wed. or Thurs. at 4:30 each week.  We were able to drive across country on to base, straight to the housing office and get our house THAT day.  It was awesome....I have never had housing that fast.

3. I realize some areas can be quite expensive and some can be quite affordable…is it worth it to live on base? How are utility prices? 

Housing on base can be nice, or gross depending on rank and the area you choose. We were able to get a great house that is twice as big as base housing for less than our BAH in the Temecula/Murrieta area. Plus it is very new.  You should decide if you want your spouse to commute. We wanted to bank and invest our BAH which is why we chose to move off base now, even though we have been living on bases for years. Utilities aren't that bad in my opinion.  Electricity seems a little higher than I'm accustomed to but the natural gas is cheaper.  If you would like a recommendation for a realtor, let me know....ours was amazing.

4. Which towns off base would you suggest to live?

If your hubby is stationed on the north side of base, San Clemente is beautiful.  Housing is VERY expensive though.  On the south-side of base Oceanside is hit of miss.  I don't know if you have kids, but we picked Murrieta/Temecula because the commute is ok, but the Schools are stellar in the entire area, and you get so much more for your dollar....plus it is a great community, feels like a small town where people care for each other but with all the big city conveniences and not any of the small town gossip.

5. Is there anything you wish you knew about Pendleton before you moved there?

Sometimes people in California, especially along the coast, can come across as rude  even when you are talking to a store clerk etc,.  Strange if you come from the south or mid-west where people have a more cultural sense of helping people.

Also, if you have any additional information regarding anything you love/hate about the area that you could tell me…I’d be happy to appreciate it.

Not sure where you are coming from, but I think you will love it here if you like warm weather and beaches.

Thanks everyone! You guys are the best!

We are now thinking about living in Carlsbad.  My husband doesn't want to be around Marines 24/7, so he has not been considering Oceanside.  I'd like to keep that option open because you get more space for your bucks in Oceanside.  We both are from big cities (Chicago and Buffalo), and we aren't interested in the more eastern suburbs.  So as of right now we are looking at possibly Carlsbad, Vista and Oceanside.  Which neighborhoods should we stray away from in Oceanside? Which ones are really great?  Also, how far of a commute would Carlsbad be for my husband?  

Hello everyone! Alrighty, I've got a few questions regarding relocation to Pendleton in January. ??

1. Which direction is the heaviest flow of traffic during morning and evening commutes (this doesn’t necessarily mean traffic to base, but in general)? This question is geared to those who live on and off base, north, east and south of base...so basically everyone!

2. What is the wait period for base housing? My husband will be at 1st MarDiv, do you suggest any specific neighborhoods? Of course those located near the ocean are desired...but is it very difficult to live there?

3. I realize some areas can be quite expensive and some can be quite affordable…is it worth it to live on base? How are utility prices? 

4. Which towns off base would you suggest to live?

5. Is there anything you wish you knew about Pendleton before you moved there?

Also, if you have any additional information regarding anything you love/hate about the area that you could tell me…I’d be happy to appreciate it.

Thanks everyone! You guys are the best!

Q: Dear Sally: I was dumped over a promotion!

A: Dear Sally, My friend dumped me because my husband was promoted and hers was not, how do I deal with this? -- Rank Ruined Friendship Dear Rank... Read more.

Q: Nervous about Nookie after Deployment?

A: My husband comes home from his first deployment soon. We have only been married a little over a year and he has been deployed most of that time.... Read more.

Q: Worried about OPSEC?

A: My husband is deployed and they are scheduled to be coming home soon. I keep seeing other spouses in the unit posting stuff like dates and locatio... Read more.

Q: Are You Slowly Going Insane in Base Housing?

A: I know lots of people who hate base housing, but I really like living on base. Well, I did until my new neighbors moved in... they are driving me... Read more.

Q: Should we consider geo-baching?

A: At what point should we let our kids have a say in whether or not we accompany their dad on his next PCS? Our children, ages 15 and 17, have really... Read more.

• Follow us
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Pinterest
  • Google +