Gigya Leaderboard

Schofield Barracks!

Has any one been stationed in Hawaii, more specifically Schofield Barracks? We are supposed to be going there in July of 2013. I'm really excited but a little nervous. Anyone have any thoughts or comments? Thanks! I will take all the feedback I can get.

Thank you so much. I do have one school age child, my other one is only 5 months old. We love to go on adventures and explore every base we have ever been stationed at. I'm a little nervous because it's so far away from the family but at the same time when will we ever get this oppertunity again to live in one of the most beautiful places in the world. I will be looking for work in the real estate business so hopefully my resume will land me a job lol. Thanks again for all the info.

We have been staioned in Hawaii twice (currently am). If you do not have school aged children then Hawaii is great. I have lived in military housing and now we are living out in town and I like it a lot more out in town. There are so many things to do. I would make a list of everything you have always wanted to do here and once a month go do one as well as making a second list when you get here from others about hidden secrets or their favorite place to go and try that out too. For example, when it is at the end of a heavy rain our favorite thing to do is load the kids up in the car and drive down H2 to look at the waterfalls. Valley of the temples is the site where the japan scences were shot in the movie Pearl Harbor. Ford Island (where I lived before moving to waikiki) is beautiful. I recommend you drive around both at day and at night. It changes the whole vibe. There is a private tour you can take that is for military and their guests only (no children under 8) that will take you around Ford Island, under the bridge and to the Arizona memorial. It was an amazing experiance and very different then going to the Arizona memorial. I also go to military base beaches because there are far less crowded and still beautiful. If you are wanting to find a job good luck. I have never been able to get one out here. My friend finally found her call-in nursing job after a year of searching. Good luck with everything. 

Im currently stationed at Schofield. I think its awesome. My family is from Florida and PCS from Ft Riley Kansas, so we couldn't be happy. There is a lot to do here. From beaches, hiking, shopping going to the zoo and so on. We live on base, the houses are bigger and nicer than what we were finding off base at a reasonable distance and price. You will also get to bank TLA and BAH while you are in the hotel. Get with the hotel on base as soon as you have a date. Its usually filled. I have a 4 year old so next year we get to worry about schools. And as far as job hunting I had 2 job offers within 6 weeks. People who say cant find work here just aren't looking. I do have degrees but too a job in retail because I could find my dream career. All in all I love it, I have only been here about 5 months but so far so good. Also if you have pets I would get started on that. You need a minimum of 4 months or "quarantine" but your pets can do that in whatever state you are in now. Anyways if you have any other question let me know.

We have been staioned in Hawaii twice (currently am). If you do not have school aged children then Hawaii is great. I have lived in military housing and now we are living out in town and I like it a lot more out in town. There are so many things to do. I would make a list of everything you have always wanted to do here and once a month go do one as well as making a second list when you get here from others about hidden secrets or their favorite place to go and try that out too. For example, when it is at the end of a heavy rain our favorite thing to do is load the kids up in the car and drive down H2 to look at the waterfalls. Valley of the temples is the site where the japan scences were shot in the movie Pearl Harbor. Ford Island (where I lived before moving to waikiki) is beautiful. I recommend you drive around both at day and at night. It changes the whole vibe. There is a private tour you can take that is for military and their guests only (no children under 8) that will take you around Ford Island, under the bridge and to the Arizona memorial. It was an amazing experiance and very different then going to the Arizona memorial. I also go to military base beaches because there are far less crowded and still beautiful. If you are wanting to find a job good luck. I have never been able to get one out here. My friend finally found her call-in nursing job after a year of searching. Good luck with everything. 

Q: Dear Sally: I was dumped over a promotion!

A: Dear Sally, My friend dumped me because my husband was promoted and hers was not, how do I deal with this? -- Rank Ruined Friendship Dear Rank... Read more.

Q: Nervous about Nookie after Deployment?

A: My husband comes home from his first deployment soon. We have only been married a little over a year and he has been deployed most of that time.... Read more.

Q: Worried about OPSEC?

A: My husband is deployed and they are scheduled to be coming home soon. I keep seeing other spouses in the unit posting stuff like dates and locatio... Read more.

Q: Are You Slowly Going Insane in Base Housing?

A: I know lots of people who hate base housing, but I really like living on base. Well, I did until my new neighbors moved in... they are driving me... Read more.

Q: Should we consider geo-baching?

A: At what point should we let our kids have a say in whether or not we accompany their dad on his next PCS? Our children, ages 15 and 17, have really... Read more.

• Follow us
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Pinterest
  • Google +