Have you ever been at a happy hour or out with a friend of yours that’s married to a civilian and said something about your marriage that resulted in an expression of bewilderment or, even worse, a narrowing of their eyes and lift of their eyebrows that exclaims, “I can’t believe you just said that!”
I don’t know about you, but this has happened to me on many occasions, and it boils down to one thing: Spouses of civilians just can’t always understand. In the world, things that may not be socially acceptable or may even be downright offensive, make total sense to any seasoned military spouse.
Next time when you say one of the following things that, let’s just be real here, any military spouse says at some point, just know that we are nodding along in understanding:
1. “We communicate so much better when he/she is gone.”
Now, if you want to talk reintegration…
2. “I don’t know what it’s going to be like to live with my spouse again!”
We change over the years…but when the years aren’t spent together, it’s not easy!
3. “I’m so sick of all these acronyms.”
4. “Oh no, I can’t go to the commissary today, it’s payday!”
For real. Don’t do it.
5. “I’m so over traveling.”
Instead of traveling, we’ve decided to live everywhere for a few years at a time…
6. “There’s nothing sexier than a pair of camos.”
See also: Dress Blues.
7. “Sorry, not sure if we can make it to your thing in a month, we only plan a week in advance.”
It’s nothing personal…we really would love to plan a vacation. Or, even a double date night…
8. “Absence makes the heart fonder!”
We have to think positively! And wine. Wine is good too.
9. “I love having so much time to myself.”
Getting. Things. Done.
10. “I think I know my spouse’s social security number better than my own.”
Recite at a moment’s notice! Always.
11. “I’m sorry, I never put my phone away. I never know when my spouse might call!”
12. “Sometimes I don’t know what I would do without Facebook.”
a.k.a. the place we make and keep friends who actually understand us around the world.
13. “My spouse needs his own room for all his clothes.”
That sexy camo we were gushing about? Comes in multiple pairs…
14. “I just don’t see the point in fully unpacking.”
Where is that? OH, that’s in the closet box…or maybe the basement box…what, this house doesn’t have a basement? That must have been the last duty station…
15. “What’s your first name again?”
We don’t get much time with you…so we make it count!